Bought or Home-brew Fire Rig......What do you have?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have this for sale for $200

1649561053752.png

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I should clarify that our guest house on the property is surrounded by about 30-40 yards of manicured lawn as defensible space. On the North side of that is steep gully that starts to get fairly thick with brush in some areas and when coming up of the far side of the gully it gets thicker. I do have my entire north side of my fence line where the fire burned the other property with a fire break. It's currently about 20' wide but need to get it a bit deeper and clearer. The East fence line needs to be cleared up but is mostly tall grass and the neighbors land is cut very short. I should be able to get my tractor and new Rhino rotary mower about 2/3rds of the way down it to clear it up. The back half of the property does need a good burn but is not something I would take on by myself unless I had a lot of help from neighbors and people more knowledgeable than I. After the fire last weekend my property on the back half of it is the last property on most sides that hasn't burned yet.

Looks like I'll start looking to put together some sort of IBC tote, trailer and pump with all the necessary plumbing. Better to have it and not need it than not have it and need it.
When moving to the country again 33 years ago we had the same issues so I built a plastic 55 gallon towable with an ATV, briggs engine and 500 psi pump to at least have something and it also served very well with that pump/motor combination to combat the web worm invasion that almost stripped out walnut and pecan trees. It would pressure up to 500 psi so I used some hydraulic hose attached to a ball valve, two 10 foot sections of aluminum electrical conduit with what looks like a firehose nozzle on the end to get up to the tops of the 50-70' tall trees. Worked like a champ but 55 gallons doesn't go far when fighting a fire.
For smaller grass fires, the suggestion above of a gas powered leaf blower works REALLY well. It just blows out the flames.
Since, I've used the same pump and motor along with a 300 gallon tote that is towable with an ATV and have a 100 gallon PTO spray rig on the tractor I use with controlled burns at the hunting areas. I only use the sprayer as a last resort at the hunting area, the front loader will snuff the fire line out by lifting the front edge of the bucket slightly and sliding it along the fire slowly with down pressure, using the sprayer to put out the spots that don't get snuffed. That works in my area, and may not in yours. It all is determined by the terrain.
Get really mad at any cedars in the area. Removing them will really help in case of a fire. It's amazing how hot they burn. The neighbors around our farms have all got together to eliminate every cedar on all the properties they own. One of our members on Osa and myself eliminated close to 50 one afternoon that were about 3-8 feet high in a pasture by shooting them off where they came out of the ground with #2 lead 12 ga ammo.
Keep everything around the homes cut short and you should be safe.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get really mad at any cedars in the area. Removing them will really help in case of a fire. It's amazing how hot they burn. The neighbors around our farms have all got together to eliminate every cedar on all the properties they own.
The OK Ag Dep't (IIRC) has a program that will help land owners eradicate cedars, as long as you agree to total eradication. They consider them to be an invasive species.

As for cedars and fires, I remember watching live coverage of a wildfire in north Noble/southeast Norman about 15 years ago. The fire was moving pretty good, but not real tall until it hit a cedar. As soon as the cedar caught, the flames would almost immediately jump up a good 30-50 feet into the air above a 10-15 foot tall cedar. It's not that surprising when you consider that they're basically full of turpentine...

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We mowed a 'trail' around our 5 acres (210' x 1000') for a fire break, and we keep it mowed. We also keep 50 to 75 feet in each direction of area all around the house - what we call our 'lawn' - mowed. We have a well and put a spigot on each side of the house with a hose and hose rack at each one. We have underground power coming to the house an a generator in case the power does go out.

We, too, live out in the nether-lands, not in any incorporated city or town. (We're so far out we don't even have close neighbors let alone a home owners association!)

Woody

Millerman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep keeping the lawn short, consider shrubs as fuel, no wood shingles, reflected heat can start drapes through windows dont stack the fire wood next to back door. Take some time to walk around and consider your property from the fires point of view.
Consider supporting local FD.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I rigged up one of those 40gal tank sprayers on my small tractor. sits behind me on the counterweight. it is wired into the 12V system of the tractor. Can drive around and spray with the handheld wand. Its not for a BIG fire but it works great to keep a fire from running out of control like a grass fire, etc.

Roy14

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can purchase skid mounted units that will allow modularity of the vehicle/platform you utilize with it. Get a commercial duty Honda power plant if you go that route.

You can also find VFD rigs for sale or auction, but you’ve gotta be looking all the time and ready to pounce. A 1 ton brush pumper or a surplus military deuce would probably be the ticket - you’ll get an engine stuck on wet grass, let alone soft ground. For your hose, a short 1” whip line that you can lay along the window and use while you’re driving is great if you’re alone, as well as a 1-200’ wildland hose pack that can roll/fold up in a backpack and be deployed for mop up is a cost effective alternative to a dedicated reel setup.

Get a Pulaski, McLeod, Swatter, and a true wildland shovel to keep with you. You’ll put as much fire out with them as you will with water.

Don’t forget to put some dish soap in your tank, it’s a poor man’s surfactant and will make your water do a lot more for you.

And most importantly, stay in the black.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a small town reserve fire dept, they are great and it seems like everyone is a reserve, consequently their reaction/arrival time is very quick I live five miles outside of town and for a very small annual fee (insurance) I don’t pay for fire suppression, There is another be idiot to fire dues, you can borrow the second pumper truck, this of course used when you are burning.
I do have a 1958 leFrance American fire truck (former owner removed the tank, in order to place hay bales for seating at their annual western shindig.
I told a young man, just this morning, that I’ve decided I’m going to sell/trade it.

Tinytim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We have a small town reserve fire dept, they are great and it seems like everyone is a reserve, consequently their reaction/arrival time is very quick I live five miles outside of town and for a very small annual fee (insurance) I don’t pay for fire suppression, There is another benifit to fire dues, you can borrow the second pumper truck, this of course used when you are burning.
I do have a 1958 leFrance American fire truck (former owner removed the tank, in order to place hay bales for seating at their annual western shindig.
I told a young man, just this morning, that I’ve decided I’m going to sell/trade it

Latest posts

Top Bottom