Bowfishing at OKC lakes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does bow fishing at say Lake Draper or Hefner require the city fishing permit? I have a lifetime hunting and fishing license, but have never bowfished for fish in the city and know u are required to have a boat and fishing permit when normal fishing. Just wasn’t sure what applied for bowfishing. Guessing u need both if in a boat? Anyone know for sure? Thanks.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can't speak for OKC city lakes but bowfishing is covered under your state fishing license in Oklahoma. The law is very vague on bow fishing rules it doesn't really say much other than rough fish only. It is fishing so a hunting license shouldn't have anything to do with it. Warning if you haven't done it. Its nothing like Bow hunting as you are dealing with water refraction. It is probably more addictive than crack laced with heroin and maple donuts. State law is below only thing I could think of in the city would possibly regulations on lights or generators if you ran one at night.

State Law
Bow and Arrow: Bowfishing may be used to take nongame fish only, throughout the year in all waters unless restricted under Tailwaters in the "Public Fishing Waters" special regulations on page 34. Legal bowfishing is restricted to:• any bow (including a crossbow);• devices that permit a bow to be held mechan-ically at full or partial draw are permitted.

spooncg33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bowfishing is permitted year-round but
during daylight hours only. No
other method of fishing allowed, including castnetting. For all special regulations visit okc.gov/lakes/ regulations.html.

That is the only thing I can find on the E regulations.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well it's been a few decades since I bowfished at Hefner and Overholser but back then it was required to have both a hunting and fishing license and the city lakes permit. We could also use a spotlight at night over at Overholser to shoot at night, so the daylight only rule was a change since I last bowfished there. The City Lakes permit is only $5/day or $20/Annual.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do need the city lake fishing license to bowfish the city lakes, where allowed. Can only do it during daylight hours. Technically you're not allowed to wade while bowfishing, either (I know you said you'll be in a boat, just an fyi) as city lakes don't allow swimming.

OKfella

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as wading in those OKC lakes, sometimes it can get hot wearing waders, so I used a garage sale pair of used hip waders that I got for cheap and I cut a slit in them right above the soles so the water could get in the hip waders and keep me cool. When I was exiting the water, the last couple of steps I just slowed down enough so the water leaked back out before I completely got on dry land. I never had an issue with the lake patrol, but that was 30+ years ago. When they had stopped me once and saw I had a lifetime H/F license and the annual permit, they nodded their heads at me and kept on driving the next time. I was only a mile away from Lake Hefner, so I was there quite a bit. I would usually get chased off if I ventured across the gravel road over on the golf course ponds. Apparently they didn't like me cleaning out the carp in those ponds. I used the reasoning that those ponds are part of Lake Hefner because the water level is completely dependent on the big tin-horn under the road. Big fun back then. Not many others bow-fishing on that lake and the carp and gar were plentiful. One time my cousin shot a 38 lb drum at Hefner. The scales on that thing were huge.

Latest posts

Top Bottom