Bowling ball fun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, thanks to #thahooligan I decided to build a bowling ball launcher.

I used some 8” structural pipe welded to a 1/2” thick railroad track plate. I thought, ”That 1/4 pound container of tannerite doesn’t look like enough…” So I mixed up a little over 1/2 pound. I set the launcher on a piece of creosote timber that was 10” thick, about 12-14” wide and 16” long. I did learn from his videos to make sure the platform is level and the wind doesn’t drift the bowling ball into my truck.

I set up 100 yds away, steadied my rifle and squeezed the trigger. Holy $#!+. There wasn’t a little boom, rather a huge KA-BOOM!!! I watched as the bowling ball went up, up, UP and was amazed at the altitude I got. I know it exceeded 200‘ high, and was probably closer to 300’. I watched as the bowling ball descended and appeared to land not 30 yds from the launcher.

Imagine my surprise to see my launcher completely destroyed. Pieces scattered everywhere and that big block of wood was in 3 pieces. I went looking for the bowling ball and couldn’t find it. Searched and searched for 10 mins, thinking it had to be right here. Nothing. So I gave up and started walking back and just happened to nearly step on the bowling ball…or at least the top of it. The rest of it was imbedded in the ground. This wasn’t mud, mind you. Firm soil. Gives some idea of the altitude that ball fell from to have it land with such impact.

So, back to the drawing board. Gotta figure out how to make a stronger launcher. Oh yah, and maybe use a little less tannerite. 😁

27F8EC52-89E1-4F34-AC87-918E4DB21B18.jpeg
D7918E0A-0BB1-41BC-B142-A3200B380BF5.jpeg
E7B0A4E7-DD18-4AB9-815A-8BD912B245D4.jpeg

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holy sheeT! anything over 1/2 lb from my launcher usually tooooo much and a bit scary! lol. Do you have a before picture of your launcher before you blew it to smitherines? Also, judging by that hole, I'm pretty sure you may have went a bit higher than 300'. hahaha

I know 1/4 lb seems like not enough and it will usually make the launch fairly low, however there is a HUUUUGE difference from 1/4 to 1/2, you just gotta find the sweet spot! I try to find 8 or 10lb balls as well.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I used some 8” structural pipe welded to a 1/2” thick railroad track plate. I thought, ”That 1/4 pound container of tannerite doesn’t look like enough…” So I mixed up a little over 1/2 pound. I set the launcher on a piece of creosote timber that was 10” thick, about 12-14” wide and 16” long. I did learn from his videos to make sure the platform is level and the wind doesn’t drift the bowling ball into my truck.

I set up 100 yds away, steadied my rifle and squeezed the trigger. Holy $#!+. There wasn’t a little boom, rather a huge KA-BOOM!!! I watched as the bowling ball went up, up, UP and was amazed at the altitude I got. I know it exceeded 200‘ high, and was probably closer to 300’. I watched as the bowling ball descended and appeared to land not 30 yds from the launcher.

Imagine my surprise to see my launcher completely destroyed. Pieces scattered everywhere and that big block of wood was in 3 pieces. I went looking for the bowling ball and couldn’t find it. Searched and searched for 10 mins, thinking it had to be right here. Nothing. So I gave up and started walking back and just happened to nearly step on the bowling ball…or at least the top of it. The rest of it was imbedded in the ground. This wasn’t mud, mind you. Firm soil. Gives some idea of the altitude that ball fell from to have it land with such impact.

So, back to the drawing board. Gotta figure out how to make a stronger launcher. Oh yah, and maybe use a little less tannerite. 😁

View attachment 360299View attachment 360300View attachment 360301
Russians don't stand a chance !

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Holy sheeT! anything over 1/2 lb from my launcher usually tooooo much and a bit scary! lol. Do you have a before picture of your launcher before you blew it to smitherines? Also, judging by that hole, I'm pretty sure you may have went a bit higher than 300'. hahaha

I know 1/4 lb seems like not enough and it will usually make the launch fairly low, however there is a HUUUUGE difference from 1/4 to 1/2, you just gotta find the sweet spot! I try to find 8 or 10lb balls as well.
I thought I had taken a picture of it when I built it, but I can’t find it anywhere.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hell NO! You gotta build one that is capable of MORE tannerite!

Latest posts

Top Bottom