Boy did I screw the pooch!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't mind cleaning my dies vs trying to pull stuck cases. I put the lube to it. I use hornady spray lube and run through my brass like butter. Then toss it in tumbler for 10 minutes to knock the film off and don't think twice about it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never cleaned a die in my life :) :)
When I was loading lubricated lead bullets, I started getting some weird overall lengths. The lube was sloughing off the bullets and gathering into the seating die. That's the only one I've ever cleaned, and since going to coated bullets that should be the last time.

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By all means get a single stage..Can't have too many presses..well maybe.

I tested my 4 hole turret press against the single stage and they both produce the same ammo accuracy.

I did not like the play either.
I have different shell holders and different .308 dies and each one will act a certain way.
One shell holder will allow .008" set back and another sets my shoulder back .001"
I have no issues with my guns and .223/5.56 and my dies. but my buddies gun has a short chamber and Instead of just touching the shell holder I need to turn the die in another 3/4 turn.
There will be slack in threads that will play games with reloading.

Another thing I found is if I very lightly lube the case and lube the inside neck I will have a different shoulder measurement than if I forgo the inside neck lubing.

I get longer shoulder without the lube..I can actually pull it longer than a fired round by .003"

I tried this for lubing necks.
https://www.amazon.com/Redding-Imperial-Convenience-Application-Media/dp/B00PFY0M90

Wow hated it!
Had to apply a lot of force to size the cases and they came out all different.

You've been a wealth of good info. I appreciate it.

I loaded up some of that brass with light loads. I'll be going by OKC GC tomorrow and will fire them off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom