Boy, The Attorney General race has sure taken an ugly turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are these even elected positions? Have the governor appoint someone and the legislature confirm them. These jobs don't pay that much yet they raise big bucks to run for these offices. You know bribes, kickbacks and "favors" are the payoff. Why do we need an elected Corporation Commissioner, Insurance Commissioner and State School Superintendent? And we wonder why state government is bloated.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why are these even elected positions? Have the governor appoint someone and the legislature confirm them. These jobs don't pay that much yet they raise big bucks to run for these offices. You know bribes, kickbacks and "favors" are the payoff. Why do we need an elected Corporation Commissioner, Insurance Commissioner and State School Superintendent? And we wonder why state government is bloated.

These things go in cycles and I can clearly imagine the arguments that would ensue - allowing the Governor to appoint more officials makes them (the officials) unaccountable to the public, except by several steps removed and it makes the Gov the owner and distributor of more political patronage which leads to corruption and backroom deals. While the "light" and "fresh air" of public elections makes officials accountable and less susceptible to corruption...and here we are at the start of our discussion again.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These things go in cycles and I can clearly imagine the arguments that would ensue - allowing the Governor to appoint more officials makes them (the officials) unaccountable to the public, except by several steps removed and it makes the Gov the owner and distributor of more political patronage which leads to corruption and backroom deals. While the "light" and "fresh air" of public elections makes officials accountable and less susceptible to corruption...and here we are at the start of our discussion again.

These elected officials aren't any more accountable then if the governor appointed them. You're stuck with them for 4 years. If the governor appoints them at least they can be terminated if they're shifty or incompetent. This idea that they are accountable because they were elected is a fallacy.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me myself, I enjoy some good mudslinging. When you enter the public arena you're fair game and and there was only one fella I know of that was squeaky clean. Can I get an Amen..

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These elected officials aren't any more accountable then if the governor appointed them. You're stuck with them for 4 years. If the governor appoints them at least they can be terminated if they're shifty or incompetent. This idea that they are accountable because they were elected is a fallacy.

Well, that is one side to the argument but as I stated in my post there are two sides (at least) to each argument and it doesn't take a genius to see how these things go back and forth over time.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is why we desperately need a recall process.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Shifty or incompetent, that's is every last one of them LOL!! Fire them all LOL

Latest posts

Top Bottom