Brass annealing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
885779E8-9888-4728-A934-6EC9E0499A85.png
Has anyone tried one of these?

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have all of the parts to build one. I got the timers in the mail today. I'll have about 50-75 dollars in mine. this is the version I am going to build.

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Realize lapua brass takes longer than winchester in .308 to anneal.
30-30 brass if you measure neck thickness can vary from .010" to .014" thick at the neck. Stuff I had on hand that I measured.
I was getting odd fliers with my 30-30 and began neck turning them to eliminate fliers.
When you set up your timer this might help you out.

Something to keep in mind

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never had to anneal brass and I shoot a lot.
Now if I were stretching/swaging/compressing parent cases into some wildcat, I could see it.
Standard brass just needing resized, no. Brass is too cheap. It would take a lifetime of shooting to repay a $300 investment in an annealer.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've never had to anneal brass and I shoot a lot.
Now if I were stretching/swaging/compressing parent cases into some wildcat, I could see it.
Standard brass just needing resized, no. Brass is too cheap. It would take a lifetime of shooting to repay a $300 investment in an annealer.
I don’t believe I will ever need too either a buddy asked me to post that to get some reviews on it he does that a lot lol

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
About the only time I anneal cases is when forming brass into something it ain't ... i.e. forming .308 into .243 or .260, .280 AI, or .375 Weatherby in my case. I can't justify the expense of that kind of unit. Sure would be nice, though!

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I really thing to get those tiny groups with consistency without having to buy new brass, annealing is necessary if you shoot the same brass over and over. I think I have a buddy of mine talked into buy one so Ill know if its any good but it will be a month or two.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of Lapua cases in my .308 and I slacked off on annealing for a couple batches.
Figured eeehhh it will be good enough.
You can feel the uneven seating forces just slightly and those ones that feel a bit easier to shoot I will mark the case with an F
Which is short for flier.
Sure enough it happens ..and the rest of that lazy prepped no annealing ammo will not shoot quite as tight as my annealed cases.

R-P or federal or winchester in my 30-06 or .308 or .223 If I do not anneal I have just made 1 MOA if i am lucky or 1.5 moa ammo.
Not sub moa ammo.
Just a little accuracy edge.
But if your cases all had the same load shot through them and the same lot number and shot the same number of times annealing may not show significant gains. But i would still anneal them for easier sleeping.

Latest posts

Top Bottom