brass expands to the chamber wall but has no spring back to allow extraction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not new to reloading been doing it for years. I recently bought some used brass for my 308 Win rifle. Full length sized it loaded and fired it, no problem. Neck sized it and most won't chamber and the ones that do chamber stick after firing. It seems the brass expands to the chamber wall but has no spring back to allow extraction. Is there a fix for this brass?

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
what are you shooting it thru? semi or bolt? if semi the the shoulder needs to be pushed back around .003" to allow chambering ease. i take my fired cases and mic them, then when i size them i adjust the sizing die until the cases will fit a Wilson head space gauge, you will have some of the case extending beyond the head space gauge which you trim to manual specs. if any of that makes sense to you

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are neck sizing used brass that was not fired from your gun the chances are the gun it was shot from had a larger chamber than yours.
You can neck size rounds fired from your Bolt action or pump action rifle and they should not stick much.
Yes they will be harder to chamber and a bit harder to extract.

I tested my bolt savage and Brass neck sizing only and the brass continued to grow until the 5th time firing and neck sizing and then it got tight..But 20 more reloads and neck sizing only it did not feel any tighter than 5 times fired and neck sized only.

I was NOT having a hard time extracting the round. But you could tell it was snug.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I had some CBC brass that I chunked every one. I don’t remember what caliber but I think it was 30-06.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mystery solved the CBC brass alloy is not a good one for what you are doing with it.
Sounds like that anyway.
I got really picky on my brass as I like tiny groups and Upper node loads get winchester cases and lower accuracy nodes get Lapua for my .308 rifles.
All other brass is SHTF brass.
I keep it around but have no desire to shoot it and waste components on larger groups.
I kind of hate losing my winchester or Lapua cases in the woods during a hunt though.. But there is meat to eat on the other end of the loss. Good trade off.

grizhunter

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
.308 CBC brass Warning

I checked and trimmed the CBC brass to the proper length annealed and full length sized it. Loaded 5 rounds with 38gr of IMR4895. All 5 rounds chambered and fired just fine but would not eject. Had to assist the bolt with a cleaning rod to get the brass out of the chamber. I then fired 3 rounds of Federal 180 gr soft point ammunition, all 3 rounds chambered and ejected just fine. I took one of each CBC and Federal and neck sized the brass, seated a bullet and tried to chamber them. The Federal chambered and ejected just fine the CBC would not chamber. All CBC brass is going to the junk pile. I have Winchester and Federal brass that work fine in my bolt action rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom