Brass measurement Not to avoid.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know your chamber neck diameter? I don't recall off the top of my head optimum distance between outside loaded case neck and inside neck wall of the chamber for proper bullet release. With your tight chamber I would want to know this. I'm sure you have a SAAMI spec. chamber therefore it's a "no turn" chamber but stranger things have happened.

I have a 0.320" neck chamber in my 7mm but I still turn my necks to help with concentricity. Finished loaded round measurement is 0.313" and I use a 0.309" bushing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a .223 axis and a 243 mossberg with tight neck chamber.
My .243 is very tight , I must turn Lapua cases in that gun.. same for the .223 but it is not as bad.
This .308 is not tight in the neck. Lapua brass fired and extracted measures .314" ID same as my other .308.

Winchester cases in my .243 measure .244" to .245" ID when extracted, not turning the cases on winchesters.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man you put alot of thought and effort into it. I wish I had the time and patience. I am lucky to get get reloading done these days. If I'm under moa I'm good. Luckily I have a couple rifles that shoot well enough no mater what I put in them couple are powder finicky

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back to happy with MOA I got MOA from lee wack-a-Mole loaders and dipped powder with their yellow scoops at 100 yards.
I was happy back then and spent much less money and time reloading.

Then the stupid useless accuracy bug hit me.. No way in the field with wind blowing and heart pounding from the long climb up the tree or mountain will 1/2 MOA out shoot 1 MOA.. they all become MOA of vital spot.. which is pretty large on a deer.

Kind of like drag racing ..That 1/10 of a second makes you feel way faster.. when 1/10 of a second spread over a 1/4 mile really does not seem like much to the non racer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom