Brass prep just got a little easier Giraud Tri Way Cutter set up

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year, a member on another forum told me to give this cutter a shot. End result: Why didn't I do this sooner!

@454308 Here is my set up you asked about sir.

My previous trim, chamfer and deburr process was via hand drill, Lee's case length gauge and a Lyman tool for deburring and chamfer case mouths. The process took forever if you did a large amount of brass.

This is the unit. Trims to length, chamfers the inside of the case mouth and deburrs the outside in one step. Simply insert until you hear the cutter finish cutting, give it a half twist and remove. With shipping, it was 119 dollars shipped from Texas. Estimated cases before it needs replaced is approx. 50k from what I've read. The cutter is 3 sided and can be disassembled and rotated for a fresh cut. Plastic housing slides off to clean the cuttings out. I recommend cutting with the unit at an angle upwards to keep all the shavings in the unit. Depth of cut is adjustable and pretty simple too. I adjusted to 1.757" and left it there.

http://www.giraudtool.com/giraud-tri-way-trimmer.html
1642620554999.png

Fits in any 3/8" drill or you can attach it to a bench grinder. I watched a YouTube video on it and was hooked. This guy made a cool stand as well.

I purchased this coupler. 3/8" for the cutter and 1/2" for the Bench Grinder shaft around 20 dollars.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005L69UPE?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
1642620813229.png

The Bench Grinder in the video has been discontinued, but I purchased this from Harbor Freight this morning. It was perfect for what I was doing. Around 60 dollars:
1642620891236.png

I removed the guard and stone from the right side of the grinder and the stone from the left and replaced the guard to be safe. On the right side, I cut the threaded area of the shaft off to get a better seal with the coupler. This side is now toast if you ever want to use this a Bench Grinder. With the coupler, it's balanced and secure. It hums very quietly and very smooth.

I may play with attaching it to my bench later, but for now, this works very well.
1642621372562.png

Cases look great afterwards. Make sure the cutter is balanced and it will glide in smooth. Cases must be resized as it index's off the shoulder. If you full length size a case, set the trimmer and then only bump the shoulders back .003" like I do for my bolt gun stuff, it will be different. Consistency is what gives accuracy.
1642621653776.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom