Brass vs. Nickel Cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve collected several nickel cases here and there, some have come from once-fired I’ve bought, some from range pick ups, both straight wall and necked cases. I’m new to reloading (a little over 2 years now), I’ve been a little apprehensive to use nickel, since I’ve always heard and read that nickel cases are harder, and can be used less times, compared to brass, due to the harder metal. I’d like to use them if I can, what with the rarity and higher prices of brass currently.

Now I know the number of times cases can be reloaded depends on several factors, obvious cracks, etc., but is there a ‘rule of thumb’ as to how many times nickel cases to be used, compared to brass? Are there signs that differ from brass, as to when a case has been used up?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with swampratt... they are more brittle, and while I don't know the ratio they won't reload as many times as plain brass. But it doesn't hurt anything to use them, the nickel plating ONLY affects the brass case so a few uses is better than no uses. Use them until you see cracks in the mouth, or other signs that it's time to replace them, just like brass cases.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As to the nickel I have in necked cases, can I, or rather should I anneal them like the brass ones? I’m thinking I need to anneal every 3rd reload.

Of course I’m going by what I’ve learned, not by experience with it.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
swampratt will know for sure, but I'm going to say don't anneal them. It will scorch the nickel plating and because they're more brittle may not help. But then I've never annealed cases at all, and I know he does so I'm sure he's tested it. I'd give his opinion about 1000+ percent rating higher than mine.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I used to sort the nickel from my range pickups and even tried to keep track of how many times I could reload them successfully. Lost count at around 15 times. honestly tried to determine if nickel cases had a shorter life span and if they do it is going to be hard for even a very active reloader to tell the difference.

Load em and shot em like regular brass.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t wanna detail this thread completely, but I am curious: why do manufacturers use nickel cases?
They're pretty is probably the main reason. It seems in the deep dark recesses of my memory I read once that they supposedly extract easier because the nickel provides less friction. I've never been able to tell a difference. I might have read that, or dreamed it, or made it up. Not really sure. :rollingla

Oh, and less tarnish, I think...

Latest posts

Top Bottom