Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo – An Epic Torture Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I really don't give a dang whether an indoor range will allow steel cased ammo or not for an AR. I don't care for indoor ranges and I certainly won't ever be shooting a large amount of rifle ammo at one.

I don't see the point of shooting an AR at a 25 yard range other than for a function check or a short range sight in. If nothing else they are way too loud for indoors and they annoy everyone else there.

If I am shooting at an outdoor range that allows steel cased ammo I wouldn't hesitate to run it through my rifles if it is accurate enough for my needs.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I was speaking in general for all cartridges.
I understood your meaning and I agree that they usually want to collect the brass and the steel isn't worth anything to them.

I was just posting my thoughts on indoor ranges in general not allowing steel cased ammo as a reason not to use it, especially for a rifle.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I understand it, many ranges don’t allow steel cased ammo due to the risk of fire. There was one such fire at the old Heartland Range in Edmond several years back that was supposedly stared because of sparks or flash or something that steel cased does... does anybody else remember that deal? Wish I could recall the exact details...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Bi-metal bullets are what may cause sparks not the steel casing. Not all steel cased ammo uses bi-metal bullets.

IMHO, if a range isn't willing to put a magnet to the bullets and just bans all steel cased ammo, they are either lazy or don't want to lose the $ that they can get from brass, or both.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really don't give a dang whether an indoor range will allow steel cased ammo or not for an AR. I don't care for indoor ranges and I certainly won't ever be shooting a large amount of rifle ammo at one.

I don't see the point of shooting an AR at a 25 yard range other than for a function check or a short range sight in. If nothing else they are way too loud for indoors and they annoy everyone else there.

If I am shooting at an outdoor range that allows steel cased ammo I wouldn't hesitate to run it through my rifles if it is accurate enough for my needs.
Wilshire range does have a 100 yard indoor, but not a bench to set up on like an outdoor range. I'm pretty much into the outdoor ranges myself. I'm a reloader so collecting my brass is a must-do.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Wilshire range does have a 100 yard indoor, but not a bench to set up on like an outdoor range. I'm pretty much into the outdoor ranges myself. I'm a reloader so collecting my brass is a must-do.
I forget about them because it is 45 minutes from my house. I would rather drive to Lexington and shoot outdoors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom