BREAKING: ATF says most popular pistol braces "shouldering devices"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Official link to the Federal Register document to be published tomorrow morning. 2020-27857.pdf (federalregister.gov)

DATES: Written comments must be postmarked and electronic comments must be submitted on or before [INSERT DATE 14 DAYS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER]. Commenters should be aware that This document is scheduled to be published in the Federal Register on 12/18/2020 and available online at federalregister.gov/d/2020-27857, and on govinfo.gov the electronic Federal Docket Management System will not accept comments after midnight Eastern time on the last day of the comment period.

Note they mean to only give 2 weeks to comment, rather than the standard 90 days. That means comments open on the Friday before Christmas week and close on New Years Day, when many businesses are closed or on skeleton crew operations. :censored:

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The ATF is instituting rulemaking to redefine at least some, probably most or all, braced pistols as SBRs.
They are offering free stamps to owners of the newly defined SBRs.
They seem to be violating the required rulemaking requirement of 90 days by allowing only two weeks for public comment, likely two weeks over the Christmas holidays."

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"The ATF is instituting rulemaking to redefine at least some, probably most or all, braced pistols as SBRs.
They seem to be violating the required rulemaking requirement of 90 days by allowing only two weeks for public comment, likely two weeks over the Christmas holidays."

Not only that, I haven't been able to find anywhere in Public Law where the U.S. Attorney General has the authority to declare a firearms amnesty and issue free tax stamps. :anyone:

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Free stamps? I wonder if that means you could then put a regular stock on it since it would be an SBR?

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Free stamps? I wonder if that means you could then put a regular stock on it since it would be an SBR?
From the letter:
Attorney General plans retroactively to exempt such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes if they were made or acquired, prior to the publication of this notice, in good faith.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

The proposal I linked in Post #73 doesn't specify, which means it will mean whatever they want it to mean. I know BATFE as a collective can be monumentally stupid at times, but I can't imagine they intended to open up the SBR Registry for as many free SBR's as the public wanted?

I still think they're gonna be AOWs and ineligible to become SBRs. Could be wrong...

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

The Docket only references pistols and SBR's, not AOW's.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From the letter:
Attorney General plans retroactively to exempt such firearms from the collection of NFA taxes if they were made or acquired, prior to the publication of this notice, in good faith.

You have to have already owned the stock before publication of the letter, and purchased it in good faith to qualify for the free stamp.
It says "made or acquired" prior to publication. If the gun was manufactured prior---wouldn't that qualify ? Even if you don't own it----yet. ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom