Breaking news, History Textbooks in California and Texas are Different.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
it's almost as is history is far more complicated than people want to remember it as.

And you're completely right, it's easy to forget how radical and revolutionary the founding fathers actually were.

Yep. It’s all about power and money. And wimmin; can’t forget about the wimmens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@TerryMiller; ...

Thank God we don't have oppressive authorities or a group of citizens who are resisting them in this country today right? Imagine what would happen if such a group of oppressive authorities were to push too hard today. Why, who in their wildest dreams could ever imagine a politically motivated leftist group seizing power of say...The State of Virginia and attempting to thwart the US Constitution? Of actually attempting to take away the cherished freedoms many have come to expect? Isn't that silly to even imagine something like that could happen?

I guess it's just as silly to think they would meet with resistance!:musketeers:

Woody

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One glaring omission I only became aware of as an adult was the story of the Tulsa race riots in 1921. I went through twelve years of public education right here in Oklahoma, and Oklahoma History was a required subject. Not once in those twelve years did I see or hear any mention of Greenwood or the riots there.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
History is written by the winner. I doesn't really matter whether the information is factual or not, all history texts reflect the author and editor's bias, view, and thus their report of events.

A small example: What is your view of John Wilkes Booth, the man who shot Abraham Lincoln?

But what if the Confederacy had won the Civil War? I imagine Booth would be presented to the reader as a hero; the man who brought down the evil leader of the oppressive North and sought to restrict Confederate American rights.

There are plenty of books that present Booth as a hero, but of course that perspective doesn't suit the purposes of public schools, so you won't find them there. You can read Booth's own writings, including his personal journal he kept after shooting Lincoln. He had his reasons. In 1865 J.W. Booth was the equivalent of, say, Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio, in terms of fame (not political views). He knew he was giving up everything - his life, fortune, and sacred honor.

A quick eye-opening read is the book "Mr. Booth Went to Washington" (I think that's the title, my copy is out of state at the moment).

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are plenty of books that present Booth as a hero, but of course that perspective doesn't suit the purposes of public schools, so you won't find them there. You can read Booth's own writings, including his personal journal he kept after shooting Lincoln. He had his reasons. In 1865 J.W. Booth was the equivalent of, say, Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio, in terms of fame (not political views). He knew he was giving up everything - his life, fortune, and sacred honor.

A quick eye-opening read is the book "Mr. Booth Went to Washington" (I think that's the title, my copy is out of state at the moment).

Yes. And the above is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about; original source material that is discarded because it doesn't fit the outcome you want history to show.

I do disagree with you on the last point; about Booth's "honor" that is. Both he and most of the people in the Confederate States of the time viewed Lincoln as the Commander in Chief of the enemy. Booth thought what he did was a just act; a noble and honorable act even. In fact, I believe the original plan was to kidnap Lincoln and hold him as a chip for prisoner exchanges and as a way to save the south...but that's another story for another time.

He really didn't intend to break his leg by jumping over the rail there at the Ford Theater after mortally wounding 'Ol Abe; but even the best laid plans can go to hell quickly during
such times.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One glaring omission I only became aware of as an adult was the story of the Tulsa race riots in 1921. I went through twelve years of public education right here in Oklahoma, and Oklahoma History was a required subject. Not once in those twelve years did I see or hear any mention of Greenwood or the riots there.

Did they teach you about the Osage Indian murders of the 1920s? No? Check out "Killers of the Flower Moon" by David Grann for yet another dirty peek at Oklahoma and US history often not talked about.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did they teach you about the Osage Indian murders of the 1920s? No? Check out "Killers of the Flower Moon" by David Grann for yet another dirty peek at Oklahoma and US history often not talked about.

Of course not. Didn't think to mention that one. Yes, I have read the book and filming of the movie starts soon! I just hope they do the book justice, which seldom happens!

Latest posts

Top Bottom