Bring the daggum tractor!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you dump hay in that bog rather than on higher ground in the back ground?
That wasn't the intended place. When I first got stuck I dumped the hay. It was a place I needed to go thru to get to higher ground.
I was headed the other way when things started goin wrong.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the day when we were on the farm and ran (and raised) cattle, all of our hay feeding was done from the back of a 1/2 ton pickup with 4WD. Of course, we didn't have those nice round bales, but had regular hay bales instead. If we thought that getting to the cattle would be an issue, we just loaded a few less bales into the truck.

Never got stuck feeding cattle.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the modern feed truck isn't the most nimble creature. The weight of the truck plus, 2000lb bed, feed box maybe 200lbs, 2000lbs of feed full and about 2500lbs of hay. Loading light would sure make a long day for me. I feed in 11 pastures a day and it takes 14.7 miles of "off road" driving to do it. We have hay lots scattered across the ranch but all feed must be loaded at HQ. pretty neat we have an actual train car up on stilts that holds 3 semi loads of feed (pictures later). This ranch just joined the round bale club about 7yrs ago. Thank goodness that was before I came here. I think they square baled and fed like 30k sq bales a year or something like that. I grew up on Colorado ranch pitching small and large squares off the back of a truck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom