Bring the daggum tractor!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was around a few 3 string alfalfa squares one upon a time in New Mexico. We still squarebale a couple thousand each year for the owners racehorses. I'm not ashamed to tell you the dutchmen come haul it on stackwagons for us though. Lol

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Regarding hand thrown hay bales, I was doing that for my then future father-in-law prior to going into the Army's Basic Training at Fort Leonard Wood, MO. Our cadre told us that first day in Basic that we would be in the best shape of our lives after Basic. B.S. I did best in the first PT test that we had, and our second PT test showed that I didn't have the same muscle strength.

The final PT test came the day I reported back to the company orderly room after spending a week in isolation at the base hospital. I went in with measles and they put me in with a bunch of guys with pneumonia and upper respiratory infections for that week. When I reported in, the 1st Sergeant said that they had done the PT test the day before and "could I take the PT test with another company." I said I could sure try, so a drill sergeant took me over for the testing.

I barely passed. Going back to the company orderly room, I told the sergeant that they should incorporate bale handling to toughen up the troops. I'd never seen that sergeant grin until that day.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, did I Cadillac. 45 minutes barn, field, barn, stacked. Got my foot stuck on the front shute catch blade kicking a bale loose when I hit it too fast. The stitches sucked, but cutting a hole in a brand new pair of Red Wings made me cry.

8ec818c3-bc5a-4fe6-96c3-cc4bb8e3937em.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, did I Cadillac. 45 minutes barn, field, barn, stacked. Got my foot stuck on the front shute catch blade kicking a bale loose when I hit it too fast. The stitches sucked, but cutting a hole in a brand new pair of Red Wings made me cry.

View attachment 114826
Sissy hay hauling!!
LOL, later on, we had a hay monster and pretty much drank beer while loading. The worst was being the newbs that were in the barn stacking while we fed the bales on the conveyor.
Lost our old family hay barn a couple of years ago. The wind blew the power lines together creating sparks in the grass and it spread to to the old wood. We didn't know about it until getting a call from a neighbor that saw the flames as we live 45 miles from the farm. Had hundreds of square bales in it with wood walls and cedar shingles.
Not much left when we got there.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sissy hay hauling!!
Damn right! We baled 120# alfalfa. The hay was for the milk cows at a dairy near Austin. PIA getting out of the cab to check moisture and wire tension every 20 minutes, I needed a break, lol. The bale boys hated to come our way when the semi's showed. I always found a field to disk, hay to cut or irrigation line to move.
Sorry to hear about the barn. That really stinks.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Damn right! We baled 120# alfalfa. The hay was for the milk cows at a dairy near Austin. PIA getting out of the cab to check moisture and wire tension every 20 minutes, I needed a break, lol. The bale boys hated to come our way when the semi's showed. I always found a field to disk, hay to cut or irrigation line to move.
Sorry to hear about the barn. That really stinks.
The barn had seen its day. The wood was over 100 yrs old and structurally was going down hill.
The cedar shingle roof would have cost more than the barn was worth to repair, so it was a matter of time for it to collapse or burn.
It was a great place to set traps though. Every critter in the country had a den or hunted there for those that lived in it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Classic old barns are a thing of beauty!!!!

Yes they are. I deer hunted in the other hay barn that collapsed a few years back. It was older than the one that burned.
I'd stack three bales in front of the loft door, and set in a lawn chair behind them. Nothing but eyes and the top of the head to be seen from the area in front.
Killed a lot of deer from that loft. The floor finally got so soft that I quit using it for fear of falling through.
Its completely on the ground now. I salvaged the wind indicator off the top finally. Had my eye on that since a kid.
I'll rebuild that wind indicator and mount it on the outbuilding here at the house. Over 100 years old and it still works! Got bent up some with high winds and the barn coming down, but easily put back in service with some TLC.
Post a pic of it tomorrow.

Latest posts

Top Bottom