Broke my cleaning rod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I broke my cleaning rod and the nearest place to get one is about 30 miles away and didn’t want to go today sil I came up with something else.I was trying to find something for a makeshift ram rod and noticed a spool of weed eater line in the shop I sharpened to a point on one end and burnt the other end with a lighter to form a small ball poked through the patches with the sharp end and pulled down to the ball end run through the end of the barrel and out the breach replaced with clean patches and repeated no I’m not this smart I seen it on YouTube but hell it works great

Attachments

• 3FD79A21-628E-4A08-8F31-F1A80A4944D0.jpeg
    3FD79A21-628E-4A08-8F31-F1A80A4944D0.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 38

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have used weed eater string many times and I use it for removing windshields from cars as it will never chip the glass.

I have found a couple Beeman carbon arrows that were very thin made great cleaning rods.
I have even resorted to all-thread or Threaded rod. I wrapped with tape one time and another time I put heat shrink over it.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
yeah i've had a similar diy. after not being able to find a boresnake for the hundreth time, i finally went to the shoebox full o' laces and got a big, wide, thick bootlace. twirled it a couple times, had to really let gravity help but it worked. a little weight on the end would have worked even better, but with enough patience it worked just fine.

Forgalspop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I broke my cleaning rod and the nearest place to get one is about 30 miles away and didn’t want to go today sil I came up with something else.I was trying to find something for a makeshift ram rod and noticed a spool of weed eater line in the shop I sharpened to a point on one end and burnt the other end with a lighter to form a small ball poked through the patches with the sharp end and pulled down to the ball end run through the end of the barrel and out the breach replaced with clean patches and repeated no I’m not this smart I seen it on YouTube but hell it works great
Been using weed trimmer line for years. I don't use cleaning rods. Works for me. I too found that information on the web. Perhaps it was YouTube? Good tip! Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom