Broken Arrow schools warn legal marijuana could hurt students

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Broken Arrow Public Schools believes those voting on State Question 820 should consider how recreational marijuana would affect schools like theirs.

When Derek Blackburn was the principal of Broken Arrow High School, he said most student drug use involved pills.

However, things changed by the time he became executive director of student services.

“Pills were more in regard to an individual doing this on their own, or possibly selling,” he explained. “Marijuana is looked at more as a recreational drug. When we’re catching a student, we’re catching more than one.”

They’re catching record numbers of students, too.

“We went from 2017 to 2018, where we had 64 cases, to last year, where we had 140,” Blackburn said. “This year, we have 99, and we still have three months left in school.”

He explained the legalization of medical marijuana and the introduction of vape pens brought more marijuana into schools than ever before.

Now the school district is bracing for the potential passage of SQ 820, which would legalize recreational marijuana in Oklahoma.

“I talked to a counselor in Denver Public Schools about what they had seen,” Blackburn said. “It’s a struggle for them.”

“I am concerned about the access kids are going to have,” he continued. “And it just stands to reason that it will be more accessible to them.”

Blackburn said there’s a misconception among students that marijuana is safe, but it can have damaging effects on growing teenage brains.

“Academically, it does impact them,” he said. “Physically, it impacts them. And if a student is chasing the high, that can obviously take them down a path that’s even more detrimental to their health.”

However, he said Broken Arrow schools are already seeing impacts beyond sinking grades.

“We can have reactions from our kids where it’s very physical in nature,” he explained. “Some kids take hits for the very first time with very potent THC that knocks them on the ground, and we have to call an ambulance to provide some services to them.”

Because of the prevalence, Blackburn said the district is trying to shift from punishing students caught with marijuana to teaching them why it’s bad for developing minds.

“We don’t want to be just punitive,” he added. “We really want to try to help educate, and we want those kids back here.”

https://ktul.com/news/local/broken-arrow-schools-warn-legal-marijuana-could-hurt-students#

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the children. Still up in the air over 820 but even when illegal they still get it, just like liquor and other illegal drugs. Will it increase usage? Perhaps but at least it wouldn't be a life changing crime if a minor was caught with it.
I wonder if the kids steal it from their parents if parents could get a contributing charge? Assuming pot wasn't properly locked up and all.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if the kids steal it from their parents if parents could get a contributing charge? Assuming pot wasn't properly locked up and all.
One would think that it would be a charge "contributing to the delinquency of a minor." Not sure if that is even used anymore.

Marijuana is the "Soma" as found in "Brave New World," I would rather live in that dystopia than this "1984" crap.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it would help if they held the kids and parents accountable. When I was in high school if you got caught with a pack of cigarettes or a can of chewing tobacco, you got an MIP. I think that should be the same for kids getting caught with vapes but instead they take the vape and there's no other consequence. Kids aren't held accountable for much anymore. No deadlines on school work, can retake tests as many times as they'd like, no failing grades... Not doing them any favors with this crap.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Broken Arrow Public Schools believes those voting on State Question 820 should consider how recreational marijuana would affect schools like theirs.

When Derek Blackburn was the principal of Broken Arrow High School, he said most student drug use involved pills.

However, things changed by the time he became executive director of student services.

“Pills were more in regard to an individual doing this on their own, or possibly selling,” he explained. “Marijuana is looked at more as a recreational drug. When we’re catching a student, we’re catching more than one.”

They’re catching record numbers of students, too.

“We went from 2017 to 2018, where we had 64 cases, to last year, where we had 140,” Blackburn said. “This year, we have 99, and we still have three months left in school.”

He explained the legalization of medical marijuana and the introduction of vape pens brought more marijuana into schools than ever before.

Now the school district is bracing for the potential passage of SQ 820, which would legalize recreational marijuana in Oklahoma.

“I talked to a counselor in Denver Public Schools about what they had seen,” Blackburn said. “It’s a struggle for them.”

“I am concerned about the access kids are going to have,” he continued. “And it just stands to reason that it will be more accessible to them.”

Blackburn said there’s a misconception among students that marijuana is safe, but it can have damaging effects on growing teenage brains.

“Academically, it does impact them,” he said. “Physically, it impacts them. And if a student is chasing the high, that can obviously take them down a path that’s even more detrimental to their health.”

However, he said Broken Arrow schools are already seeing impacts beyond sinking grades.

“We can have reactions from our kids where it’s very physical in nature,” he explained. “Some kids take hits for the very first time with very potent THC that knocks them on the ground, and we have to call an ambulance to provide some services to them.”

Because of the prevalence, Blackburn said the district is trying to shift from punishing students caught with marijuana to teaching them why it’s bad for developing minds.

“We don’t want to be just punitive,” he added. “We really want to try to help educate, and we want those kids back here.”

https://ktul.com/news/local/broken-arrow-schools-warn-legal-marijuana-could-hurt-students#
NEWS they are already smoking IT !!!

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So let's make IT easier to get!!! That will solve the problem. Always has in the past.

/s.

Fair enough, I understand your point.

But back in the young days, some of the appeal of drinking beer was because it wasn't allowed. "Breaking the Rules" is a motivator also.

Six of one/ half a dozen of the other.

Latest posts

Top Bottom