Broken Arrow schools warn legal marijuana could hurt students

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in my fourth decade as an educator and do not know of a single student that has struggled academically or socially because they consumed too much sugar, caffeine, or nicotine. But I do know those that struggle with these after becoming a marijuana/THC user.

I've never called an ambulance or had a parent take their child to the hospital because they drank too much soda, smoked a cigarette, took a pinch of snuff, or vaped some nicotine. But I have for students that took a single hit from a THC DAB/Vape or consumed gummies because a "friend" said "try this." I've never seen the former lead a student down a road with no positive end or destroy their educational opportunities, but I have with kids using marijuana.

I was indifferent to the passage of medical MJ, but knowing what I know now I would have strongly opposed it. I don't care to tell responsible adults what to do with their time and money. But there are NO positive outcomes for kids from the normalization and use of marijuana.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm in my third decade as an educator and do not know of a single student that has struggled academically or socially because they consumed too much sugar, caffeine, or nicotine. But I do know those that struggle with these after becoming a marijuana/THC user.

I've never called an ambulance or had a parent take their child to the hospital because they drank too much soda, smoked a cigarette, took a pinch of snuff, or vaped some nicotine. But I have for students that took a single hit from a THC DAB/Vape or consumed gummies because a "friend" said "try this." I've never seen the former lead a student down a road with no positive end or destroy their educational opportunities, but I have with kids using marijuana.

I was indifferent to the passage of medical MJ, but knowing what I know now I would have strongly opposed it. I don't care to tell responsible adults what to do with their time and money. But there are NO positive outcomes for kids from the normalization and use of marijuana.
No one here said kids should be using it. The new law says 21 but guess what, its been available to kids for as long as we both have been alive. Our years combined in fact.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one here said kids should be using it. The new law says 21 but guess what, its been available to kids for as long as we both have been alive. Our years combined in fact.
You are absolutely correct that the law says 21 and it was used by many in my youth. However, you must have missed my point. It was used by some in my youth and I had one teen friend that was destroyed by it, but today's MJ and THC potency is not very comparable. And the much bigger issue, as I see it, is it's normalization. There is a dispensary on every corner, so it must be okay. If it's always been around, then why are we seeing much more profound and detrimental effects? This is not your grandpa's weed.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in my third decade as an educator and do not know of a single student that has struggled academically or socially because they consumed too much sugar, caffeine, or nicotine. But I do know those that struggle with these after becoming a marijuana/THC user.

I would so not true to the opening. and some of the most artistic and brilliant people in the world like to take a little toke! no disrespect meant.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Oklahoma Center for Poisoning in Tulsa just released a report that found since 2018 the number of minors being reported has increased “nearly 2000%”. Children mimic their parents and I’m always amazed at how so many adults can’t see that. We brag about how we cheat on our taxes but are amazed when little Johnny gets caught cheating on an English test. We’re tickled pink when we get in the car and find the cashier gave us too much change yet we can’t believe it when Wendy steals money from Mama’s purse. We lie like a dog when the COP pulls us over for for speeding trying to get out of the ticket but are dumbfounded when our children lie to us. They see EVERYTHING we do and it’s through watching us that they learn what type of adults they’ll become. I guarantee you if pot is legalized, which I think it probably will be the number of children using marijuana will skyrocket because they’re just wanting to be like Mom and Dad.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Oklahoma Center for Poisoning in Tulsa just released a report that found since 2018 the number of minors being reported has increased “nearly 2000%”. Children mimic their parents and I’m always amazed at how so many adults can’t see that. We brag about how we cheat on our taxes but are amazed when little Johnny gets caught cheating on an English test. We’re tickled pink when we get in the car and find the cashier gave us too much change yet we can’t believe it when Wendy steals money from Mama’s purse. We lie like a dog when the COP pulls us over for for speeding trying to get out of the ticket but are dumbfounded when our children lie to us. They see EVERYTHING we do and it’s through watching us that they learn what type of adults they’ll become. I guarantee you if pot is legalized, which I think it probably will be the number of children using marijuana will skyrocket because they’re just wanting to be like Mom and Dad.
That's very interesting. My wife and I don't smoke, drink, gamble. Raised our kids in church and Scouts and led by example.

I go visit my oldest son's grave every weekend. He did drugs, got hooked, spiraled right down and was gone at age 24. He was the apple of my eye.

I guess if you do stuff right, and you get lucky - it's easy to give yourself credit for your kids choices. If you see other kids doing bad stuff, it must be very gratifying to smugly blame the parents.

Latest posts

Top Bottom