Broken garage door

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The motor is suspended if I remember right. If one of the torque springs is worn or broken, it will give the issues your talking about.

Yep this is what they do before the spring breaks. Because the spring is letting the door essentially close past the limit on the opener, and then it retracts when it feels the resistance. It's probably only a matter of time before the spring pops.

I dealt with this working with them years ago, and I dealt with it in my garage about 2 months ago.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but I have a Liftmaster system that has decided recently to lift the door as soon as it closes, sometimes 2-3 times before it will stay shut. I have attempted to adjust the “force” controls but I have not resolved it. Any ideas?

Probably a spring like others said, but I had a similar issue in the last house I rented. The door faced east, so in the mornings, when the sun was really bright, it would obscure the sensors and they wouldn't see each other. I just snipped em off, taped them together looking direct, and spliced it in above the motor. Worked like a champ for the remaining few years I rented.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To be more precise a broken garage door opener. Motor finally gave out. It's a 1985 Craftsman. It is a chain driven model. Was wanting to get some opinions either to go back with a chain or get one of those Genie models without a chain or even a good brand to replace it with. What say you OSA?
we use a good genie in all our homes, I can't remember model but it can be ran from an app also. Doortech sells them to use for around $325 or so turnkey installed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom