broken press

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stymie001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has this ever happened to any of you?
Today while decapping 270 brass I got a case stuck. While on the up swing it felt a little harder than usual so i gave it a little harder pull than normal and snap, my Lee press broke in two. Bottom plate was still attached to the table and I had all the rest in my hand. Needless to say the 270 brass was decapped but now stuck in the die. After a few choice words, I tried to get the stuck case out and completly made a mess out of that. So now, They are on their way to LEE since they are still pretty new, and I hope to get them replaced. Monday started off pretty bad for me. I hope the rest of the week goes better.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
That sucks. I have a couple of Lee presses that are old, and have seen thousands of rounds. I'll bet there was some manufacturing flaw that caused that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Everytime I've stuck a case it was because of not enough lube. They can become almost impossible to get out. (breaking things before they come out of the die)

I used lube pads for 20 years with a case sticking every so often.
A buddy that is into semi-commercial reloading told me to use Hornady one-shot lube in an aerosol can. You don't have to clean the cases when your done, and it doesn't matter if you get some in the neck.
Its the best lube I've ever used. No more case squeeks coming out, and no more stuck cases. Just be sure to clean the die with carb cleaner, before using the Hornady.

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Lee case lube as described in this review;

Mix Lee Sizing Lube with Isopropyl Alcohol (I use the 91% variety). Mix 10 parts alcohol and 1 part lube. Use a commercial quality spray bottle and shake well before application (mixture will separate as it sits). Stand cases upright in loading blocks and spay lube from four sides, getting some inside the mouth of the case. Wait a couple minutes for it to dry and a nice white sheen will develop. Your are now ready to go, and no need to wipe off. Much slicker than the other name brand spray on lube I tried, and doesn't lose its effectiveness as it sits for hours or overnight. Another great Lee product.

The only thing I do different is tumble the brass after sizing.

stymie001

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My press was 6 years old and as for pictures, It was boxed up and in the mail to LEE within the hour. I did get an email stating that anything that was less than two years old would be fixed or replaced for free reguardless of what or how it happened. In which the die was just bought with in the last two weeks (3 piece set) but the press was past the age limit. Allthough they stated to send it in anyway. Maybe I'll get it replaced. I was probaly due for an upgrade.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You mean the frame casting busted in two? That's pretty impressive! :bigeye:

Had to be a casting flaw, I've never heard of that one. One way or the other, enjoy your new press. :thumb:

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have to make sure to get a little lube in the necks of my 25WSSM brass or the neck expander is tough to get out of there. I tumble them after to remove the lube anyway and it makes resizing them so much easier.

Latest posts

Top Bottom