Broken propane grill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about fixing the existing hinge.
How about buying a hinge from the hardware store, the kind who a long end on one side.
Then bending it to fit the lip of the grill, drilling a couple of holes in top and bottom of grill and using nuts and bolts to attach the hinge.
^^After reading that and thinking for a minute...a George Foreman does seem like an easier solution.
If you do go propane, Mr Hoddy is right, those little bottles don't hold much and get pricey pretty quick.

fishincoop

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

OkieJoe72

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The wife changed her mind (again) so I am going to try and repair this grill. I guess it is okay since it was one of our back up cooking methods in case the electric was out for long. I am thinking something like JB Weld. Any other suggestions? And yes she took the pics on her phone. :P

View attachment 263855View attachment 263856
Baling wire will get it done.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure the use of the word "binding" is appropriate around here....

:loser:
You never know!

Tied up.jpg

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread about the wind blowing over our propane grill and breaking a hinge on the lid. Looking at it today I noticed a pretty big crack in the burner. Enough to insert my pocket knife blade into. A replacement burner is going to cost at least $50 plus repairing the lid, on a grill I can not even use. Is it worth repairing? I do not feel that it is but wanted opinions. I can get a used electric grill for about the same amount that I can use, not just the wife.
You might see if anyone has the skills to braze the burner I don’t and they might fix the lid too. It won’t be pretty but.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with trying to fix that lid is that it’s cast. If it was forged or machined would be easier and better. Likely anything you do is either going to weaken the casting or cause further complications.
I’m a JB Weld fan, but I don’t know that it would be good for this instance. Plus, it’d be hard to clean the surface after applying because it’s going to squish out and not be pretty.
There is always: Can it be done and/or Should it be done?

Good luck in your adventures.

GlockPride

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The problem with trying to fix that lid is that it’s cast. If it was forged or machined would be easier and better. Likely anything you do is either going to weaken the casting or cause further complications.
I’m a JB Weld fan, but I don’t know that it would be good for this instance. Plus, it’d be hard to clean up the surface after applying because it’s going to squish out and not be pretty.
There are videos out there with welders that can weld on cast aluminum, but would the price be worth it?
There is always: Can it be done and/or Should it be done?

Good luck in your adventures

Latest posts

Top Bottom