Brown smoke from a Cummins?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a bit stumped. I've seen all kinds of different colors of smoke, but this is new. Have an 04.5 Cummins, 208k miles, auto tranny, bully pup programmer, airraid quick fit intake, no other mods........ That I know of. Bought the truck 2 months ago, owner who owned the truck most of its life passed away several years ago, so no information to be had, aside from a shining Maintinence record according to carfax. Did an oil and filter change and fuel filter 2k miles ago, fleetgard filters, John Deere oil. Recently I have noticed either tan or even dark brown smoke at times, but most of the time there is still plenty of that black coal smoke you would expect. What is causing this? Fuel?

I always purchase my fuel from the mustang Oncue. My first thought is fuel quality.
I have tried turning my programmer down in the past, in search of better economy and such, but when I did, it was wayyyyy sluggish, throttle response, transmission shifts, and everything was terrible. Half the instrument cluster was lit up. No codes thrown though. Even floored I couldn't get any smoke, as if I wasn't getting enough fuel. The only things I have done to the truck (aside from what was done when I got it) is take the silencer ring off, and put a decent system in it. So I don't know what was all done to the truck. When left in performance tune, it runs like a champ.

Latest posts

Top Bottom