Browning BPT 45 ACP ammo ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Headed to the range this morning, as soon as it gets light out, with 97 rounds of mixed mfg 45 ACP 230 gr FMJ ammo that I want to burn up.......Winch. white box, Browning and some Herter's.

Thirty two rounds are Browning BPT FMJ flat nose that I acquired somewhere.....the cases are glossy black which is different but I kinda like the look. :)

I'll have to do a search later to see if it's reloadable but has anyone ever shot any of the Browning black cased ammo in any caliber ?......what were your impressions ?

BPT.jpg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not shot any store 45acp ammo but I have reloaded steel and aluminum cases that are boxer primed and they do just fine.
9 reloads from the aluminum NR cases before primer pockets began seeping a tiny bit.
I read that the browning cases are nickle plated brass and are slicked up to assist in reliable feeding.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like you're right Swampratt, coming out of the tumbler they look to be nickle plated with some sort of black plating on top of that.

They felt just a bit warmer than the Winchester or Herter's and they also seemed to be more accurate......if I didn't reload I'd be trying to find a good deal on a case.

Last edited:

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve shot some of it. It’s good ammo. The is a black nickel plating on the cases. Black nickle uses a standard nickel base plate and then a much thinner black variation on top. It should but be any slicker than standard bright nickel plating.

Reloading, I treat it as normal nickel cases.

tkdgeek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a few tumbles with my SS pins the black is more or less silver/black now. Think they are on about their 5th reload pass through but work good for reloading. They do look pretty nice with the 185g JHP from Hornady in them loaded fairly hot.
My other nik ones have held up better I think though.
I also have several boxes worth of 223 that have started shedding their 'purple' tint over reloads. Made me sad because they were my favorite with gold dots loaded in them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom