Brush Hogging Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackinok09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good points here. But another if you cut some grasses too short all at once it kills it out. Also consider the ground nesting birds that use those places. quail and turkey numbers are way down and it's likely due in some areas to ranchers and farmers bailing grasses for hay that in years past they let grow and just grazed it. Can't blame them for needing hay but often just a few weeks or even days makes a difference in some turkey poults needing grasshoppers or quail the size of your thumbnail needing that bare ground between plants to move and feed.the very worst habitat for them is a field that looks like a lawn.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only advice I’d give is to slow your roll.

It’s easy to get in a hurry, wanting to get the job done fast, but if you gear down and keep your PTO speed up, you’ll get a better cut.

And like was mentioned previously, 6” height is much better than running the skids on the ground. If you scalp the grass off, it opens it up for more weed growth.

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

It’s easy to get in a hurry, wanting to get the job done fast, but if you gear down and keep your PTO speed up, you’ll get a better cut.

And like was mentioned previously, 6” height is much better than running the skids on the ground. If you scalp the grass off, it opens it up for more weed growth.

Tractors and Heavy Equipment all my life was Therapeutic to me. Never rush a brush hog. Get a Canopy, tie some tea to the fender in an ice chest. Enjoy life!

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently ran across Tractor Mike's YouTube channel, and while I can't say if his advice is 100% perfect, I can say that it pretty well lines up with my experience and what I was taught. This video seems kind of relevant to this topic.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been working on a briar patch that has grown around a few vehicles and a combine. So I connected an old 5 foot brush hog to one of the larger tractors. Lets just say it was too much power. NOW I must clear out a 15 foot batwing deck and learn how to run that. without screwing something up..

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a trick running a 15ft batwing when your trying to maneuver in and around objects while mowing without running over them when you first start so take it slow and easy at first.

Jon3830

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

I have been trying to get my dad to understand this for years he is a high gear low rpm mower he lays the grass over more than he cuts it, he thinks he is saving fuel and prolonging the life of the engine by doing it that way.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been trying to get my dad to understand this for years he is a high gear low rpm mower he lays the grass over more than he cuts it, he thinks he is saving fuel and prolonging the life of the engine by doing it that way.
My dad was the same way. He would not run a tractor at PTO speed. Said there was no reason to have the engine revving like that.

bushmaster06

Hoist the black flag.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, it's only about 5-6 acres so not sure any rancher would have interest in cutting it even for free. I can put some feelers out, though. Not looking for it to be lawn quality cut but just being anal.

How does one go about knowing if what is growing is quality enough for someone to be interested? Prior owners had a horse, bunch of goats and a few cows on it.
It just depends. My in-laws were approached once by a rancher during an especially dry summer if he could cut and bale their 2.5 acre "side yard" because he needed the hay.

Latest posts

Top Bottom