Buck, Old Timer and Uncle Henry...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starting to get back into good ol' traditional pocket knives again. I've carried a pocket knife seems like all my life. For the last 7 or 8 years now, it's always been a Victorinox SAK of some type.

But recently, I've found myself looking at the classics again. You know, the ol' slip joint, wooden slab sides with brass or nickel pins and bolsters, sporting just one or two blades.

I know everybody says a double X Case is the best, but I just can't afford em. A friend of mine bought one and it turned to rust after a week in his pocket. Some will say that's a sign of good blade steel. I'm not a blade snob, so I just call it high maintenance.

So, my two favorite styles of pocket knives are canoes and toothpicks. Never really cared for stockmans or trappers. I prefer single blades and double blades at opposite ends.

So my question is...are Buck, Old Timer and Uncle Henry all about the same? I know they are all imports and I realize that Old Timer and Uncle Henry are both made by Schrade with basically their only difference being the handle material/style. What about Marbles brand? Are they any good?

I appreciate your knowledge and comments.

:thanku:

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry around a 3-blade Old Timer, and use it all of the time. I used to carry a Buck, but it was hard to sharpen and keep sharp.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a two blade Old Timer most of the time. Occasionally a single blade lock back. My step daughter gave them to me a couple years back. I have a few other pocket knives but I have carried an Old Timer most of my life and feel naked without one.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was also looking at Rough Rider and a new one I've never heard of...Whiskey Bent. Good looking knives and at a price point that might make em USA made.

ETA: upon further research, the Whidkey Bent brand is sadly another Chinese import. :grumble:

wb1201-800x800.jpg

wb12-03_hb_2.jpg

Bahick71

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My go to blades are either Kershaw, or Schrade. None of them are what they used to be
Another good affordable choice is Elk Ridge, I have a few of there knives that are pretty
good. They are on the cheaper side, but have held up good.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry a two blade Old Timer most of the time. Occasionally a single blade lock back. My step daughter gave them to me a couple years back. I have a few other pocket knives but I have carried an Old Timer most of my life and feel naked without one.

My dad was a big Old Timer and Uncle Henry fan. I'm pretty sure the very first pocket knife he gave me was an OT Stockman or Trapper. Seemed like one of the blades was broken. I'll hafta dig it out.

I also inherited 3 of his knives. An OT Deerslayer, a UH Folding Hunter (gently used, but still in the original box) and an OT two blade folding style hunter that is no longer in their catalog. It's in BAD shape. I need to spend a rainy weekend to clean it up a bit.

I'll try to snap some pics of em if I can find my little one.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starting to get back into good ol' traditional pocket knives again. I've carried a pocket knife seems like all my life. For the last 7 or 8 years now, it's always been a Victorinox SAK of some type.

But recently, I've found myself looking at the classics again. You know, the ol' slip joint, wooden slab sides with brass or nickel pins and bolsters, sporting just one or two blades.

I know everybody says a double X Case is the best, but I just can't afford em. A friend of mine bought one and it turned to rust after a week in his pocket. Some will say that's a sign of good blade steel. I'm not a blade snob, so I just call it high maintenance.

So, my two favorite styles of pocket knives are canoes and toothpicks. Never really cared for stockmans or trappers. I prefer single blades and double blades at opposite ends.

So my question is...are Buck, Old Timer and Uncle Henry all about the same? I know they are all imports and I realize that Old Timer and Uncle Henry are both made by Schrade with basically their only difference being the handle material/style. What about Marbles brand? Are they any good?

I appreciate your knowledge and comments.

:thanku:
Old ones were made in usa

Latest posts

Top Bottom