Bucks in velvet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Attachments

• bobcat.jpg
    bobcat.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 173

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I watched two large 4 point bucks yesterday, and neither one of them had a spec of velvet on the horns. Is this the wrong time of year for velvet or what?

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Checked my cameras yesterday. Very underwhelming results with only a few deer, 1 of which being a small buck. Oh well. At least I already know there's good bucks in the area. I just hoped to have some kind of pattern going...

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All our bucks still have velvet.

They should start shedding at the earliest in another couple weeks but could be first week or so of September.
Checked my cameras yesterday. Very underwhelming results with only a few deer, 1 of which being a small buck. Oh well. At least I already know there's good bucks in the area. I just hoped to have some kind of pattern going...

Don't get down about the lack of activity. I've now got 4 spin feeders and a protein feeder out (all with cameras on them), and the number of pictures I'm getting a day is WAY DOWN from what it had been. The full moon is tonight, so it should gradually pick back up.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score

Not seeing any is a pattern, they're just somewhere else. You have to be almost right in their core area or in between core and food right now. They'll be venturing about before long, I wouldn't sweat it. I think I've fed in the same areas for so long now, it should be instinctive for them to come to my feeding areas lol. A new property takes some time, especially if there's lots of cover.

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lol y'all are right, season is still over a month and a half away. After what I got on my last check, I had high expectations.

This property will take me a couple of years of being mobile to get on the deer, I suspect. There's so much cover available and no agriculture. Hopefully the acorn drop this year doesn't have them locked down again. The last few years has been rough with bumper acorn crops. Deer practically ate in their beds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom