Bucks, sheds and breeding

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up my last camera from the woods on Sunday and scrolled through the last 2.5 months of pictures. To my surprise, on March 5th, I had clear pictures of 2 bucks harassing a doe, followed by the bigger buck mounted up while the little buck looked on. How did I know they were bucks, you might ask? Both had full racks on their heads. A mature 8 pt and a little 6 pt.

Almost 2 weeks later, I caught the same bucks on camera on March 17th. The little guy still had both antlers and the big one had dropped one of his.

Have you ever seen breeding this late? And isn’t it awfully late for bucks to still have antlers as well?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just tonight on our feeder in the front yard, we had a yearling with a 8" spike on one side only. No red spot on the other side. I would just about bet the farm it was an antlered doe. I had a pretty good visual on it at 25 yards or so and did not see any "junk" that would identify it as a buck.
Now for the OP's question. We have a fawn that probably doesn't weigh 45 lbs that comes through the yard with its mom on occasion. Wife and I were both surprised at how small it is. No spots, but tiny.
A couple of the does were looking kinda plump.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never seen breeding this late, but I’ve had bucks with both sides until the last few days. It appears they have all dropped now.:anyone:
Well, pictures today show that I was mistaken....buck with both sides.:anyone:
JmU0Zdp.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom