Budget builds vs Dream builds (Please come participate)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished my dream build in 6.5 Grendel. I'm sure I will forget to add something

Lower
Noveske Lower
Gisselle LPK
Gisselle SSA-E Trigger
Magpul STR Stock
JP Silent Captured Spring

Upper
Noveske upper
Noveske 15" Handguard
Wilson Combat 20" fluted barrel
Magpul 45 sights

Optic
Bering Super Yoter Thermal Scope

Not completed
Form 1 Can

Last edited:

Boaty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here’s my .02. Shop around and ask a lot of questions. Read reviews. Make a list of what you want. When you add it up, and it’s a $5k build. Save your money until you can buy it. If you go cheap, you’ll likely spend more on it later, or you’ll maybe sell it at a loss of time and money. Cry once is very true, I know for a fact.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here’s my .02. Shop around and ask a lot of questions. Read reviews. Make a list of what you want. When you add it up, and it’s a $5k build. Save your money until you can buy it. If you go cheap, you’ll likely spend more on it later, or you’ll maybe sell it at a loss of time and money. Cry once is very true, I know for a fact.

I'm a buy once, cry once, kind of guy too. But 5K for an AR? Not necessary. It's similar to 1911s. Just because you spend $5k on a Wilson, doesn't necessarily mean it was built THAT much better than other makes. In some cases sure, in other cases, the law of diminishing returns will apply.

You can build ARs relatively cheap if you know what you're doing. Highly recommend SOTAR on youtube if you want to learn the difference in parts and how to properly spec out an AR build. MUCH more important than throwing money at a build.

Bigdawg90

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience with ARs is that they are like wine. There’s not much of a difference between a $10 bottle and a $50 bottle. To the average person there won’t be a difference between a $50 bottle and a $500 bottle. If you’re an average guy, buy a $10 bottle and be content with a good buzz. Lol

ARs are the same. Unless you’re the type of person who trains enough to feel the recoil impulse of a rifle or to notice the clarity difference in a piece of glass, bear creek and Daniel defense will be the same. I laughed my ass off once when this well to do Chiropractor tried to tell me my Vortex PST was better than my dad’s Razor. He just didn’t know the difference. He had never really seen light transmission enough through different scopes to be able to differentiate. He was absolutely stubborn about it though. He had an insanely expensive scope like a Mark 8 or something.

I know of guys who would be a lot more dangerous with a PSA gun and mbus irons than the guy who has never trained but bought a Daniel defense with a Razor.

I have one BCM built as a jack of all master of none. It would be my go to for anything from CQB to hunting and distance shots. Not the best at anything but can do most things well. Between the lights, optics, suppressor and all I’ve got well more than 4-5k into it. I built an almost exact clone out of cheap PSA and Bear Creek parts and Chinese optic clones. That thing gets beat to hell and the BCM sits clean and ready to go. Gets shot for practice maybe twice a year and taken out for some hunting trips. I stockpile PSA and Bear Creek for my network and family and friends.

Budget build list:
PSA blew lower - $50
PSA mid-length upper build kit with m lok rail - $410
Holosun 515 w/ lower 1/3 mount - $305
Streamlight HLX rifle kit - $110
BCM vertical grip - $25
Magpul QD MS1 sling - $50
5 gen2 moe pmags - $50
Cans of rattle can paint for an OD green tacticool look - $5

Total - $1000 gun you can run into the ground, pass to your friends let them have a turn and then put her away dirty.

I’ve never had one of my builds that shot worse than 2 moa at a hundred yards. Any decent AR manufacturer will make a good enough gun.

Dream Rifle:
Giessle super duty 11.5 in DDC - $1995
Vortex gen3 1-10 in a scalar works 1.93” mount - $2500
45 degree offset RMR in a Trex mount - $600
Magpul pro backups - $160
Surefire M600 with IR head and Unity tactical dual switch - $650
PEQ-15 -$1500
Surefire 5.56 socom 2 suppressor - $1100
BCM and B5 systems furniture - $125
Custom Magpul sling with paraclip rear attachment and QD front - $100

Total - Lots. I’m issued a Colt M4 for duty use. Pretty much same setup except for a Eotech exps 3-0 and no peq-15. It’s an amazing setup but the Colt is way over gassed. The recoil impulse results in less controlled groupings and a much less fun shooting experience. I shot a super duty and that gas system is awesome.

One day I want to play with an A5 extension upgrade but have just never had the opportunity to shoot one.

CSeverns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My budget build would probably resemble the rifle I have now:
Poverty Pony stripped lower w/ DPMS LPK
PSA 16” barreled upper
Franklin Armory BFS III trigger
magpul k2+ pistol grip
magpul CTR stock
magpul AFG2 (a must have for me on any AR)
SIG romeo5 w/ vortex vmx3t magnifier
magpul polymer MBUS set

Dream build would be:
LMT Mars stripped lower w/ WC LPK
Primary Weapons Systems 16” piston upper
Aero Atlas R1 handguard 15”
Geissele SSA-E trigger
BCM sopmod stock
Troy HK style backups
magpul k2+ and AFG2
surefire scout weapon light
Eotech Vudu or Trijicon VCOG LPVO scope

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Long range target rifle with heavy barrel, McMillan style stock, nice optics etc.

but — the curveball would be I want one in .300 Weatherby.

dozens of off the rack options in Win Mag, but methinks the Weatherby would have to be custom

Also always wanted a Sharps Quigley replica

Buckh1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I built a few PSA kits back when you had two choices.

Chrome lined or Premium Chrome lined...

These cost about $450 to 500. Just added whatever lower I found around town for sale. Added the Burris PEPR mount with a Vortex or Burris scope and done. I still have my original 1 week after the ban expire Bushmaster patrol and a couple of other rifle I built when parts were found on sale. All them work for what I need them for and I'm happy. That all that matters. There are only a few companies that make forging for the uppers and lowers and everyone outsources these days anyway. Even Colt, and my Dad used to work at one of their foundries and I closed down over 40 years ago.

Last edited:

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite range trips are sitting next to a fella with a $1,500+ build, running a $1,500+ optic and his target looks like you shot it with a shotgun. While I sit with my cheepo $500 (total with optic) build smacking the bullseye. (And I suck at shooting)

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My favorite range trips are sitting next to a fella with a $1,500+ build, running a $1,500+ optic and his target looks like you shot it with a shotgun. While I sit with my cheepo $500 (total with optic) build smacking the bullseye. (And I suck at shooting)
Agree. My buddy built a 100% JP rifle, put a Schmitt Bender mil dot scope on it that cost almost $4000 and had to borrow my Browning Stainless Stalker to kill an elk after he dumped all his ammo without a hit on one. One shot with mine in 30-06, elk down.
When he was buying the components to build the rifle, I kept asking him about what round he was going to be using, what weight bullet, etc, and he said JP would take care of it. About 6 thousand dollars later he has about a 2 MOA at 100 yards. After the elk hunt, it's never been out of the safe. That was three years ago.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree. My buddy built a 100% JP rifle, put a Schmitt Bender mil dot scope on it that cost almost $4000 and had to borrow my Browning Stainless Stalker to kill an elk after he dumped all his ammo without a hit on one. One shot with mine in 30-06, elk down.
When he was buying the components to build the rifle, I kept asking him about what round he was going to be using, what weight bullet, etc, and he said JP would take care of it. About 6 thousand dollars later he has about a 2 MOA at 100 yards. After the elk hunt, it's never been out of the safe. That was three years ago.
Some people are just crazy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom