Budget Long Range Rifle and Scope Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found with MY AR15 the scope needs to be above the centerline of the barrel about 1" more than my bolt rifles.
This does funny things to trajectory.
I shot at 100 yards and stuck the scope at zero. Then at 200 yards the load was 6+" high.
WHAT!!
I dialed it down to be just about 1/2" high at 200 and now it is only about 1/2 or 3/4" low at 100.
There could be some benefit to the high scope mount.
Left me scratching my head.
Tinbender75 how far are you planning on shooting..AND are you planning on taking deer size game at long range or just hitting steel at say 500 yards?

Makes a big difference on caliber choice.
I really do not think you need to drop much for steel plinking at 500 though.
So I am thinking you want 1000+ yard stuff.

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I found with MY AR15 the scope needs to be above the centerline of the barrel about 1" more than my bolt rifles.
This does funny things to trajectory.
I shot at 100 yards and stuck the scope at zero. Then at 200 yards the load was 6+" high.
WHAT!!
I dialed it down to be just about 1/2" high at 200 and now it is only about 1/2 or 3/4" low at 100.
There could be some benefit to the high scope mount.
Left me scratching my head.
Tinbender75 how far are you planning on shooting..AND are you planning on taking deer size game at long range or just hitting steel at say 500 yards?

Makes a big difference on caliber choice.
I really do not think you need to drop much for steel plinking at 500 though.
So I am thinking you want 1000+ yard stuff.

Yes something out to 1000yds. That should keep me busy for a long time learning to shoot distance.

I have had handgun training and some tactical rifle classes (whatever you want to call them) but I have 0 experience long range.

I also reload so I would like to reload whatever rnd I am using in the future but that is a whole other learning curve over dumping pistol brass in the 650 and going to town.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When i began shooting 500 yards It was all about holding the gun the same way every time with the same pressure on my shoulder.
Change the pressure and forget tight groups. A good read.
https://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/send-it-how-to-make-a-1000-yard-precision-rifle-shot/

And this. I kind of wish I had got the 6.5 creedmoor instead of my .308. But the 308 does get the job done for me just the same.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/1000-yards-500-rifle-rugers-american-predator/

I do not think I would buy the ruger having the savage 308 I would probably just rebarrel If i felt the need.
But I hunt with my guns and there are places I can shoot way past 1000 yards at game but No desire so I just stick with slow fat 308. Kudos to those that do build a 1000 yard weapon.

I would like to know what group sizes you guys get at 1000 yards. Not just say I can hit 20" steel plate.
My Mossberg 100atr in 243 or the 30-06 atr will both hold under 5" at 500 as will my savage 308 and savage axis .223 a $150 gun.
Nothing spectacular but good for hunting.

Tinbender did you have a cartridge in mind? Just curious.
Read this.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/12/17/best-rifle-caliber-what-the-pros-use/

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Tikka T3X CTR or T3X Tactical in 6.5 Chambering would be my pick.
$974 for the Tikka T3X CTR and $1540 for a Bushnell DMR II.

I wouldn't buy a Ruger but that's just me. They only have one dog in the fight with their RPR.

Both the Tikka and Savage are entry level but you'll roll a Savage off a bipod onto its left side working the bolt one handed. The Tikka has a much nicer/smoother action.

In my opinion there is absolutely no reason to run a magnum chambering unless you plan on long range BIG game hunting or ELR. Just research the ballistics of the 6.5 Creed, 260 Rem vs the 300 WM.

I heard tell of many Vortex Vipers having issues with not returning to zero at a recent long range class. These may have been the older Vipers and not the Gen II. Just remember there's more to a scope than glass clarity in the long range business.

APH Tactical

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ruger Precision Rifle and Vortex PST seems like a pretty simple route.

Safe bet on the Ruger. Always been a Rem700 fan but a good rifle at a good price is a good rifle at a good price. Also, played around with a Buddies Zeiss the other day at the range... Glass is freakin' amazing!!!! But what else would you expect from Carl Zeiss??? Lol
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-CONQUE...545972&hash=item25da5bb2fe:g:dPEAAOSwEfBZp~4V

If your new to precision shooting though, if probably go with the Ruger, a slightly less expensive scope and then either plenty of match ammo or a reloading kit. Get back to the fundamentals of marksmanship, and when you're consistently grouping MOA with 5 @ 100 up to 300yds, then sell your scope and find a nice replacement to help stretch your legs out there... Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

Tcox

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
One more bit of advice: become a member of snipershide. That forum is an absolute plethora of information and there are some absolute pro’s there. I’ve learned a lot just lurking there

Tinbender75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for y'alls replies. I have looked at every gun mentioned. I think I will go 6.5 Creedmoor for sure and looks like the rifles are Savage GRS, Remington 700, Ruger Precision and the Tikka T3X. I am leaning towards the Tikka but I have a month or so and a lot more reading.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for y'alls replies. I have looked at every gun mentioned. I think I will go 6.5 Creedmoor for sure and looks like the rifles are Savage GRS, Remington 700, Ruger Precision and the Tikka T3X. I am leaning towards the Tikka but I have a month or so and a lot more reading.
My current "favorite" rifle is a Tikka T3 Hunter in 260 topped with a NightForce 2.5-10x42 NXS, it's my go to hunting rifle. I've loved every Tikka I've owned, even before modifications.

Latest posts

Top Bottom