Bud's Guns - How NOT to do business.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've discussed how poorly some companies treat customers and how hard it is to get good service these days. Well, let me add Bud's to the list.

I've contacted them several times about the amount of sales tax they want to charge me to ship to my preferred FFL. The dealer is in an unincorporated part of the county and the sales tax rate is 5.375%. Regardless of what I say or show to Bud's they still want to charge me Ada sales tax which is almost 10%. I refuse to pay the additional tax. I'd rather do without a gun I want and can only get there than pay an extra 4% because they're too lazy or incompetent to look up the correct rate. And actually, they don't even have to do that because I've sent them a screenshot and link to the Oklahoma Tax Commission web page with the dealer's address already plugged in and calculated at the correct rate.

They've already lost almost $3000 in sales just to me and I was ready to spend another $1100 on Saturday. I guess Bud's already has enough money...

If you choose to buy from these guys make sure they're charging you the correct tax rate. Personally I'm tired of trying to convince them to take my money. Palmetto State Armory can figure it out, I don't know why Bud's can't.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly the tax figures they use are plugged in from an app they pay for to "make sure they get it right" in this new world of "CYA or the IRS will kick your BUTT". A lot of companies use the same plugin, which nets more profit for the stores but can lose you business if your customers know better. Amazon and Walmart are the only places I've seen online that get our tax rates right.
If you can find a place that doesn't charge taxes for your area, stick with them. (I don't personally know one for guns).

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They sent me references to several tax rate lookup sites that state the zip code for my dealer is in Ada. Well, it is...partially. But the bulk of the zip code is in unincorporated county. They're not using the full address...just the zip code...because they're either too lazy or too incompetent to type the entire address in. If they'd just go to the official OK Tax Commission website it and plug in the address it would be clear. I guess that's too hard.

And I almost never run into this problem. I think Bud's is the only online retailer I've had this problem with. PSA always charges the correct tax rate.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sadly the tax figures they use are plugged in from an app they pay for to "make sure they get it right" in this new world of "CYA or the IRS will kick your BUTT". A lot of companies use the same plugin, which nets more profit for the stores but can lose you business if your customers know better. Amazon and Walmart are the only places I've seen online that get our tax rates right.
If you can find a place that doesn't charge taxes for your area, stick with them. (I don't personally know one for guns).
My father in law has a form/affidavit he fills out for incorrectly charged taxes. He says he just mails it in with his supporting info to the OTC and gets a refund check from them however many weeks later. We also live outside of city limits, so we often pay for large purchases to be delivered to our home to take advantage of the 4.5% sales tax.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have ran into this issue with many companies. MidwayUSA was one at first but a phone conversation and it was corrected. Then PSA, again they fixed it. But have ran into this a few other times which has caused the cancellation of orders. I pay enough taxes, Not gonna pay a extra 4%.

GIJROB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've discussed how poorly some companies treat customers and how hard it is to get good service these days. Well, let me add Bud's to the list.

I've contacted them several times about the amount of sales tax they want to charge me to ship to my preferred FFL. The dealer is in an unincorporated part of the county and the sales tax rate is 5.375%. Regardless of what I say or show to Bud's they still want to charge me Ada sales tax which is almost 10%. I refuse to pay the additional tax. I'd rather do without a gun I want and can only get there than pay an extra 4% because they're too lazy or incompetent to look up the correct rate. And actually, they don't even have to do that because I've sent them a screenshot and link to the Oklahoma Tax Commission web page with the dealer's address already plugged in and calculated at the correct rate.

They've already lost almost $3000 in sales just to me and I was ready to spend another $1100 on Saturday. I guess Bud's already has enough money...

If you choose to buy from these guys make sure they're charging you the correct tax rate. Personally I'm tired of trying to convince them to take my money. Palmetto State Armory can figure it out, I don't know why Bud's can't.
After they refused to accept my tax exemption I was done.

Latest posts

Top Bottom