Bug in or Bug out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VarmintHunter59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A greenhouse is an excellent idea. I also think having and learning to use a drone would be very helpful for bugging in. You could do perimeter surveillance with a drone.

Oh, I'm bugging in for the same reason most rural people will do. Resources are here and it's already a pretty good, relatively east to defend location, surrounded by former in laws. Mostly liberal but they're afraid of me anyway.

Mike762

Marksman
Reaction score
I currently live in North Texas , so long term plans have changed . We ( family ) have a location twelve miles from anywhere on the 100 meridian in western Oklahoma/Texas panhandle. This is where the bulk of us will likely harbor depending on a wide scope of variables . If there’s notice or forewarning we will likely bug out right away , hoping to be ahead of the other six million souls . If caught unawares then we are equally as well stocked here at home .
I’m hopeful that neither plan will need to be implicated , but I’m afraid the course our nation is taking plans otherwise .

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know where folks get this idea that everyone is going to be bugging in or out all on the same day. If you’re paying attention to local, regional and world events you’ll know what’s coming. Plan accordingly.
I pay attention to the news 24/7. How many people have an alternate place to "go"? If the situation involves weather like a tornado here there is not much warning. Civil unrest there may be more warning. I have a house here and WA. The house in WA is in a urban area that would be a bad place to be. I would rather be here in OK with all my supplies. I'm staying put.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t know where folks get this idea that everyone is going to be bugging in or out all on the same day. If you’re paying attention to local, regional and world events you’ll know what’s coming. Plan accordingly.
I think you may be onto something, because in today’s world, how many people really are paying attention to what’s going on around them? Most folks today are so wrapped up in what’s going on in their little world and are oblivious to the big picture. For those of us that are looking at the big picture, we should be able to get ahead of whatever’s coming. :anyone:

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m just gonna roll with the punches. I’ve got a couple discreet stashes and a couple remote stashes. I check on them every few months or more often. So far they have survived. Use your head when planning a location.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Five pages in a short time is telling.

I’ve been living in OK/ID now for 16 yrs. but selling out in ID because my eyes don’t look to support driving much longer (advanced glaucoma). I can still shoot but scopes are in my future since this was the first year iron sight competition was out of the question. Btw, been binge-watching Walking Dead so that has to color a poly-sci guy’s sense of dread with all the Postmodern Deconstruction variants out there.

Anyway, hope to find some property outside of the metro with the proceeds of the sale here. When it comes to power, water and refrigeration the metro seems more dangerous of the two but power in numbers mentioned here is relative for sure.

should be an interesting year trying to find a piece of ground an hour to an hour and a half away from metro OKC. Then how far to go in making it sustainable, green house, alternate power, well, etc.

I hope people with experience get specific on some of the more technical solutions for alternate power especially.

Research neighbor's along with any average purchase will be a must. Not sure how best to do that. Knocking on doors could get awkward if you wore your doomsday scenario on your sleeve.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I are in our 70s. Just for medical reasons, bugging out is virtually impossible - thereby making all other (however real, existing) reasons to "stay or go" moot. I've made the best possible (hopefully significant) preparations to stay home, and we must accept the limitations of that decision.
We are also in our 70's and understand what you are talking about. I'm not at all sure bugging out would be a good idea, at any age. The only reason I can think of that would make that necessary, is if you are located in a strigitic area that is likely to be a target in a nuclear war. I HOPE no other nation is that stupid to try that, and jsut good ol common horse sense tells me that is very unlikely, for may reasons. As Abraham Lincoln once said, "if we fall it must come from within!" We try and keep some guns and ammo, cash avalable in a safe deposit box at the bank, food, just ordinary canned, and dried foods, and water, as well as info. on how to treat creek, or pond water to make it safe to drink! The wa eapons used will likely be destruction of our economy, and socity, by means of inflation, etc. food, water, or toilet paper shortages, fuel shortages, RIOTS, political unrest, propaganda to make US HATE EACH OTHER, sound familiar? We will just have to improvise as needed anyway! Americans are not very good at being told what to do, but we are very good at IMPROVISING!

Latest posts

Top Bottom