Build, Buy new, buy used, or stay put and be happy with it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The conversation got started this weekend about moving. I've stated for some time that I'm quite content with my 1979 built house with a 2.75% mortgage. However, there is that part of me that wants something a newer with a 3 car garage. We have done a significant amount of work to our current house. Most recently replacing the AC and Furnace and switching it from a down draft to an updraft style system. All attic mounted now. The last large projects we have yet to complete are the Bathroom vanities and countertops. When those get done we will retile. The driveway needs to be replaced as it is busted up thanks to some long gone Silver Maples. And finally the Kitchen has been left alone for the most part. The oven was replaced with a larger unit and the wallpaper was removed and walls painted. Our plans for that include a full remodel with new cabinets, flooring, some ceiling work and new appliances. The budget for that isn't there yet. All in all the house is in pretty good condition. Much better than when we bought it.

I have enough contacts in the construction world(2 home builders, 1 commercial GC and countless subs) that I could complete a build myself. I just don't know if my wife would kill me during the process or not. If we built it ourselves we could stand to save a good percentage(or spend the same) by the end of it. I have enough experience with bidding and scheduling I think we could keep it real close to budget.

We have considered buying a new house but are deterred by the option of building ourselves and getting more more sq ft or better finishes for the same price.

We have looked around at various neighborhoods in the Yukon area. Our requirements keep us in the Elementary district my wife teaches in. We have expanded our search to include the neighborhoods that would feed into the Middle School our boys would go to. Currently we don't live in the same area that feeds into the school our oldest goes to. This is compounded by the neighborhood not having any of his classmates to go play with. Nor much kids period in the area. The option to say go down the street to so-and-so's house isn't there.

Unlike our initial house search. We aren't pushed to find a house to buy. We have all the time in the world. If I had to pick today I'd put us around a year out from a desired move date. This gives me plenty of time to fully plan out and price out a new build. I'm also in a position where if I need to sell my house I have an option available that I could sell it. This would come into play if that "perfect house for the perfect price" came available. I have yet to see that one. So time table is somewhat in my control.

Alot to think about just not all tonight.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We lived in one house for 20+ years. About two years ago we bought in town, kept the old one too. Brand new house with all the button and whistles. Loved the house, hated living in town. We sold it and moved back in our old house.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We lived in one house for 20+ years. About two years ago we bought in town, kept the old one too. Brand new house with all the button and whistles. Loved the house, hated living in town. We sold it and moved back in our old house.

Sounds like my neighbor. You don't drive a white Dodge truck by any chance?

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It kind of depends on where you are. But I'm holding out until I need to be in town as long as I can. I certainly understand keeping momma happy. :igetit:

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are in the kind of thinking about moving but not really sure stage contact a local realtor and see if they have the ability to set you up on a custom search that emails you houses as they come on & off the market or have changes in price etc. That way you can have the benefit of having a contact if you do decide to purchase, without having to constantly call/email back and forth etc, It's all done automatically. If you were in the Tulsa metro I could do that for you :-) It should be free of charge its really a pretty cool service. I have set several clients up on a custom search that way they can look at the homes they actually might be interested in at their own leisure online. Thought I should clarify My custom searches are set up as a personal web page for that specific client and the only time you get emailed is when changes happen and you can then click your link to visit the site its not like your getting bombarded with 3 zillion emails a day LOL
If the okc mls is set up like Tulsas an agent should be able to search homes and vacant land/lots etc for you

Spata

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The conversation got started this weekend about moving. I've stated for some time that I'm quite content with my 1979 built house with a 2.75% mortgage. However, there is that part of me that wants something a newer with a 3 car garage. We have done a significant amount of work to our current house. Most recently replacing the AC and Furnace and switching it from a down draft to an updraft style system. All attic mounted now. The last large projects we have yet to complete are the Bathroom vanities and countertops. When those get done we will retile. The driveway needs to be replaced as it is busted up thanks to some long gone Silver Maples. And finally the Kitchen has been left alone for the most part. The oven was replaced with a larger unit and the wallpaper was removed and walls painted. Our plans for that include a full remodel with new cabinets, flooring, some ceiling work and new appliances. The budget for that isn't there yet. All in all the house is in pretty good condition. Much better than when we bought it.

I have enough contacts in the construction world(2 home builders, 1 commercial GC and countless subs) that I could complete a build myself. I just don't know if my wife would kill me during the process or not. If we built it ourselves we could stand to save a good percentage(or spend the same) by the end of it. I have enough experience with bidding and scheduling I think we could keep it real close to budget.

We have considered buying a new house but are deterred by the option of building ourselves and getting more more sq ft or better finishes for the same price.

We have looked around at various neighborhoods in the Yukon area. Our requirements keep us in the Elementary district my wife teaches in. We have expanded our search to include the neighborhoods that would feed into the Middle School our boys would go to. Currently we don't live in the same area that feeds into the school our oldest goes to. This is compounded by the neighborhood not having any of his classmates to go play with. Nor much kids period in the area. The option to say go down the street to so-and-so's house isn't there.

Unlike our initial house search. We aren't pushed to find a house to buy. We have all the time in the world. If I had to pick today I'd put us around a year out from a desired move date. This gives me plenty of time to fully plan out and price out a new build. I'm also in a position where if I need to sell my house I have an option available that I could sell it. This would come into play if that "perfect house for the perfect price" came available. I have yet to see that one. So time table is somewhat in my control.

Alot to think about just not all tonight.

How much are houses in your neighborhood selling for? How much is yours worth? How much do you have in yours? If you are seriously thinking about selling I don't know that I would spend more on remodeling.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I fixed the driveway and spent a Saturday on a few minor projects. I could put a sign in the yard. My previous list is the remainder of our desired changes. Not necessary.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom