Building a Form 1 Can

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at doing a form 1 can option since i have the tools to make one but don't have a big enough jar off pennies to buy one. I understand most of the rules and what is required such as no extra parts, engraving, don't sell, don't replace parts, etc. I also understand how to make an efficient design. I'm not worried about performance so much as the negative legal aspects of this option and if anyone around here had any problems with it.

Also i read on another forum that you do NOT have to submit a drawing of the can if you not wish to. This would be nice as i would have a few months to refine my drawings. Also what are the CLEO's in the south okc, moore, and norman areas that will sign?

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
just be careful of some of the screwy rules when building.
main one is it can't be longer than what you list on the form 1.
you list 8.5 inches and it comes out 8.6 its illegal, however it can be 8.4 and be legal.
they made a provision that you can repair a broken one by making it shorter but said it can't be over the stated length.
so they now apply that to all suppressors.
guys that have a thread adapter for changing between different guns can get in trouble if they leave it attached to the suppressor and not the gun. thereby making it too long if ATF ever examined it.

got this out of NFA handbook Q&A section and from a suppressor forum.

rocketman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, i didn't know about the thread adapter and length thing. See, it's a good thing i asked! Those are the exact type of answers i'm looking for. Any other stuff i should know about?

Latest posts

Top Bottom