Building my first lower.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I got a gift card for academy for my B-day and bought a ruger ar-556 lower with it. Now im trying to decide if I want to do a dissipator or 10.5 pistol build (I like front sight posts). Its going to be my first build that goes beyond putting an upper on top of a lower. The build is going to be a semi-budget build with a PSA assembled upper. I will probably go with a fail zero BCG as I found one for 125 online (guns.deals is amazing) or aim surplus titanium bcg looks nice, but I dont know if its just flash or if it procides anything over nickel boron. Im looking for a more cost friendly charging handle than a BCM and have found strike industries extended variants for 25ish bucks. As for triggers im caught up on 3, Rugers ar trigger for 95$, rise armament cheap 140 trigger for 85, or JMT saber trigger with anti rotate pins for 85 also. I like the idea of the ruger because it would keep with the brand of the lower and include the grip. As for a LPK I dont know they seem to be everywhere and I cant decipher one from another. I don't know where to start, but I figure I could get to building and collecting parts while I try to choose between the two configurations. Any direction and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
All a matter of preference, and the stuff you're looking at will all work fine. Any old LPK from Anderson, Spikes, CMC or just about anyone else will work. It's not rocket science, though they like to advertise with big words to make it sound like they've all found the alchemical formula for gold.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So I got a gift card for academy for my B-day and bought a ruger ar-556 lower with it. Now im trying to decide if I want to do a dissipator or 10.5 pistol build (I like front sight posts). Its going to be my first build that goes beyond putting an upper on top of a lower. The build is going to be a semi-budget build with a PSA assembled upper. I will probably go with a fail zero BCG as I found one for 125 online (guns.deals is amazing) or aim surplus titanium bcg looks nice, but I dont know if its just flash or if it procides anything over nickel boron. Im looking for a more cost friendly charging handle than a BCM and have found strike industries extended variants for 25ish bucks. As for triggers im caught up on 3, Rugers ar trigger for 95$, rise armament cheap 140 trigger for 85, or JMT saber trigger with anti rotate pins for 85 also. I like the idea of the ruger because it would keep with the brand of the lower and include the grip. As for a LPK I dont know they seem to be everywhere and I cant decipher one from another. I don't know where to start, but I figure I could get to building and collecting parts while I try to choose between the two configurations. Any direction and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For a dissipator, you missed PSA's MOE FDE dissy upper sale for $180 (w/o BCG & CH). Or at least they were out of stock when I checked last.

Also, where are you finding the JMT trigger for $85?

As far as LPK's go, I've started assembling them, since I change so much anyways. Every once in a while you find upgraded LPK's that already have the stuff I want, such as a Palmetto State LPK with MOE grip / TG and the ALG QMS trigger.

There are other things, like the Strike enhanced bolt catch, the Joe Bob's Ambi 60/90 safety, and if I'm keeping a standard type FCG (even the QMS) I buy the JP or KVP springs and a grip screw trigger adjuster.

At that point, the only "standard" parts are the pivot/takedown pins, detents, and springs; buffer detent and spring, and mag catch assembly.

Last edited:

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screenshot_20180503-092023.png

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I almost got the dissipator upper from PSA the other day, had it been black instead of fde I would have. But I have rifles that will do what it does, I just like the long sight picture and appearance of the dissi. I think I will stick with a pistol with a kak brace as more of a home/truck cqb/ only ever play with it at the range toy. I like the new sb tac pdw brace, but I cant justify the price point on it.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like said above, Spikes, PSA, and others work fine. You can do a little polishing on the trigger and hammer, drop in some JP springs and have a great low budget trigger.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another great place to find parts on sale is Primary Arms, I have bought numerous items from them and they have a military discount with fast shipping.

As far as triggers, check out Velocity Triggers

Latest posts

Top Bottom