Building my first SBR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Here's a a good question..

When. I measure overall length, do I measure from (fully extended) stock TO the end of the threaded barrel OR to the end of the handguard?? Being that the barrel will be 5-6 inches back inside it. Hmmmm....??

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a a good question..

When. I measure overall length, do I measure from (fully extended) stock TO the end of the threaded barrel OR to the end of the handguard?? Being that the barrel will be 5-6 inches back inside it. Hmmmm....??

According to the ATF NFA Handbook: "The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore". They do not say anything about a firearm where the barrel is recessed inside of a handguard.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You measure from the end of the barrel. They don't count the handguard in the length.

I built mine piece by piece starting with a stripped upper. I put everything together while I was waiting on the stamp to arrive. Once I got the upper complete, I had my dad hold on to it until the paperwork came back, in the meantime I built my lower.
I went with a 5" barrel with a 9" handguard so that my suppressor would stick out 2.5" past the handguard to get the look I wanted. Steve @ Cold Hand Arms might still have a couple 3" barrels available too if that interests you at all.
A suppressed 9mm AR is way more fun than anyone should be allowed to have to be prepared for a lot of grins from yourself and everyone around you at the range when you let a few rounds go.

This photo has been posted before, but I like to show it off anyways.
i680.photobucket.com_albums_vv162_robar_g19_100_0351.jpg

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah it's a YHM Todd Jarret signature series.
The only reason I went with a 5" barrel over a 3" is because I might be able to get a slight bit more accuracy out of the 2 extra inches of barrel, but the 3" would definitely have a cool factor to it.
Also, as far as engravers go... check out southwest engravers on N. Classen & 17th/18th st. in Okc. They do superb work for only $10, just make sure the lower receiver is completely stripped so they can mount it in their engraving machine.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Awesome. I was hoping to find someone local. I called cold hand arms earlier. Im going to try to order a 3 inch noveske barrel Saturday.
I guess im just gunna build it in the pistol platform so I can run it while I wait and buy the buffertube and buttstock when the stamp arrives.

What's the overall length of yours with the 5 inch barrel only. ( no can)

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
23 inches if I remember correctly. I'm at work right now so when I get home I'll look at the paperwork and make sure.
It was measured with the stock extended. Steve @ Cold Hand told me that's how they measure it which I thought was weird. I figured they wanted to know just how short it could be but he assured me that they measure with the stock extended.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was measured with the stock extended. Steve @ Cold Hand told me that's how they measure it which I thought was weird. I figured they wanted to know just how short it could be but he assured me that they measure with the stock extended.

Steve told you right. It is with stock fully extended or for those weapons with a folding stock it is with it unfolded.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Lower is getting engraved today. How should i aquire the form 1's and us compliance sheets? order them through atf.gov or print them off. also how many do i need per nfa item?

Latest posts

Top Bottom