1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Building my first SBR

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by MrShooter, Oct 23, 2011.

1. MrShooter

MrShooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Here's a a good question..

When. I measure overall length, do I measure from (fully extended) stock TO the end of the threaded barrel OR to the end of the handguard?? Being that the barrel will be 5-6 inches back inside it. Hmmmm....??

2. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    According to the ATF NFA Handbook: "The overall length of a firearm is the distance between the muzzle of the barrel and the rearmost portion of the weapon measured on a line parallel to the axis of the bore". They do not say anything about a firearm where the barrel is recessed inside of a handguard.

3. Ignored Member

Ignored Member Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You measure from the end of the barrel. They don't count the handguard in the length.

I built mine piece by piece starting with a stripped upper. I put everything together while I was waiting on the stamp to arrive. Once I got the upper complete, I had my dad hold on to it until the paperwork came back, in the meantime I built my lower.
    I went with a 5" barrel with a 9" handguard so that my suppressor would stick out 2.5" past the handguard to get the look I wanted. Steve @ Cold Hand Arms might still have a couple 3" barrels available too if that interests you at all.
    A suppressed 9mm AR is way more fun than anyone should be allowed to have to be prepared for a lot of grins from yourself and everyone around you at the range when you let a few rounds go.

This photo has been posted before, but I like to show it off anyways.
    [​IMG]

4. MrShooter

MrShooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    NICE! Would love to see a 3 inch barrel. I think I might just do that. Is that a YHM handguard?

5. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    Yeah it's a YHM Todd Jarret signature series.
    The only reason I went with a 5" barrel over a 3" is because I might be able to get a slight bit more accuracy out of the 2 extra inches of barrel, but the 3" would definitely have a cool factor to it.
    Also, as far as engravers go... check out southwest engravers on N. Classen & 17th/18th st. in Okc. They do superb work for only $10, just make sure the lower receiver is completely stripped so they can mount it in their engraving machine.

6. MrShooter

MrShooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Awesome. I was hoping to find someone local. I called cold hand arms earlier. Im going to try to order a 3 inch noveske barrel Saturday.
    I guess im just gunna build it in the pistol platform so I can run it while I wait and buy the buffertube and buttstock when the stamp arrives.

What's the overall length of yours with the 5 inch barrel only. ( no can)

7. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    23 inches if I remember correctly. I'm at work right now so when I get home I'll look at the paperwork and make sure.
    It was measured with the stock extended. Steve @ Cold Hand told me that's how they measure it which I thought was weird. I figured they wanted to know just how short it could be but he assured me that they measure with the stock extended.

8. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Steve told you right. It is with stock fully extended or for those weapons with a folding stock it is with it unfolded.

9. Ignored Member

Rating
    100%
    Yep it's 23" from the buttstock to the end of the barrel, so if you're going with a 3" barrel then mark the paperwork as 21"

10. MrShooter

MrShooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Lower is getting engraved today. How should i aquire the form 1's and us compliance sheets? order them through atf.gov or print them off. also how many do i need per nfa item?