Building your own stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So…. Did you build one?

Sorry for bringing the thread back. Was searching the forum for anyone thats built a stock for a bolt action.
I did not. After doing a lot of thinking and looking, I decided it wasn’t worth it for a $600 rifle, even if its one of my favorites. To reliably get the mag well to work I would need to get a spare from ruger (not happening), get one scanned into a 3d file and 3d printed (difficult and could be pricey), or CNC machined from a 3d file (difficult and could be heavy, definitely expensive). furthermore, I would need to get the stock made, and since wood would(haha) make the rifle heavier than stock, I would probably find myself going with carbon fiber for strength and honestly, cool factor. I would then have to make sure the action was relatively straight, pillar bed it, and paint the stock. I figured it would just be too much work and investment, when at the end of the day the rifle shot well and was close enough to what I needed that I could modify it. I adjusted the cheek weld with a decent stock bag/cheek riser, put an LVPO on it, and learned to love it. I honestly hadn’t even considered a stock since getting things adjusted.

What are you looking to restock?

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score

My Mystery Mauser once I get the caliber for sure figured out. Has a crappy plastic stock currently. Doesn’t seem to bad but I’d like to have a wood laminate stock or something.

I’ll shoot first to see how accuracy is before I for sure go to replacing the stock.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I made a wood stock AR and i make a lot of things with an angle grinder and drill press and files and some porting tools and die grinder.
I have a welder and lots of scrap metal and all the trigger guards mag wells and everything else seems easy enough to make to me.
Time consuming but easy.

Fiberglass or carbon fiber build is a bit more tricky bun doable.
Crafters foam carved to shape and then use that as a base and cover it with glass or carbon fiber.

My son built a very sweet part for his MX5 years ago out of carbon fiber and it was his first time and he said the stuff laid down perfectly.

I have built a lot of things from fiberglass.
My front bumper on my 57 is fiberglass and I put aluminum mounts into it and it weighs 5 lbs total.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've built quite a few, all have been stock blanks 90% inletted. Richard's used to have a great selection, Boyd's is probably the best value.

My personal favorite is the laminated - strength and beauty, lots of different color combinations to choose from.

I've also scored big buying factory "seconds" in regular or semi-fancy walnut. Usually the blemish that gets them marked "second" is barely noticeable.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did not. After doing a lot of thinking and looking, I decided it wasn’t worth it for a $600 rifle, even if its one of my favorites. To reliably get the mag well to work I would need to get a spare from ruger (not happening), get one scanned into a 3d file and 3d printed (difficult and could be pricey), or CNC machined from a 3d file (difficult and could be heavy, definitely expensive). furthermore, I would need to get the stock made, and since wood would(haha) make the rifle heavier than stock, I would probably find myself going with carbon fiber for strength and honestly, cool factor. I would then have to make sure the action was relatively straight, pillar bed it, and paint the stock. I figured it would just be too much work and investment, when at the end of the day the rifle shot well and was close enough to what I needed that I could modify it. I adjusted the cheek weld with a decent stock bag/cheek riser, put an LVPO on it, and learned to love it. I honestly hadn’t even considered a stock since getting things adjusted.

I did one of these for a buddy of mine several years ago. IIRC, he bought a Boyd's to replace the cheap plastic factory stock. The Boyd's was a laminate and it only required minimal fitting and clearance for the mag well. We did a full bedding job on the action. It turned out real good. Remington 700 stockmaking screws will fit the action but you will have to fabricate a sleeve or washer because the stockmaking screws were too long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom