Building your own stock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder what it would take to make the Boyd's fit.
That was my thought.

Maybe a search online would find others that have modified it to work.

My understanding is that the boyds stocks were created for the RAR Rifle with the old rotatry magazines as they had in their first generation. The x39 uses mini30 mags. so the mag inlet will be much larger and the magazine release much different.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pics of what I have to start. Eff it. There’s a 90% chance this is about to be a stock build thread.
8A717A7D-6FC8-4EE6-8A35-F47DFD95F3BB.jpeg
C1DCCEB4-BE65-46F2-BD93-CC10E4C0C281.jpeg
9F2CFB79-794E-409F-BF40-A5AAE54DC868.jpeg

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hang on a second......................

Oh.. never mind..

This stock is not compatible with the Ruger Mini 30 Magazines due to the steel mag liner.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even if they don't have it on their website, call Mark Hunsucker at Gunville, (336) 314-9604 or email him, [email protected]

If he doesn't have an exact stock that would work, he'll either have something that you can make work with a little effort, of you're up a creek all together :-) Either way, good luck!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have lots of hours to spare. One thing I was considering was to buy a 90% finished stock, and simply do the final shaping, inletting, and finishing. If I enjoyed it, I might go for another project with a little more work.
I've done the 90% finished stock on a Model 12 Winchester pump shotgun. It was a very interesting project with a vertical learning curve. It turned out beautiful. I would do that project again.

Fade2blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think the blocks are similar if Ruger uses the same receiver size on all American rifles. I have a 308 that dropped in to a Boyd's with no issues. What is the spacing between the "v" blocks on the ranch model?

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but you missed the fine print on the bottom.
May not be compatible but you would be a whole lot closer closer to where you wanted to be. Probably has to do with opening the mag well up. That would be a lot less time than trying to do everything else on it. Not to mention trying to Opening and channeling the action and barrel of a homemade stock would be a lot more labor-intensive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom