bullet molds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdschoonie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What are the best lead molds? And which mold would I need for the 45-70 when I buy it? I've read that the Henry 45-70 shoots between 405 and 500 grain?

I have poured multiple fishing weight since I was little, but know nothing about bullets or the molds. I will getting books on this, but thought maybe someone would have info for me.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've used Lyman 457122 (330gr HP), 457125 (500gr RN) and mostly used they'e 480gr spitzer. Not sure they still make the last one any more. Use SPG bullet lube. I sold my lead pot, molds, etc to a friend for cheap on the condition he'd mold me some when I needed them lol.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have cast literally thousands of bullets with lee molds. There is a learning curve with the Lee molds as they will get a scratched up top from the sprue plate.
I do not smoke my molds I just clean them and apply soap stone to the top and pivots or I use one of those square carpenters pencils to add to the top and pivot..Graphite you know.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
What are the best lead molds? And which mold would I need for the 45-70 when I buy it? I've read that the Henry 45-70 shoots between 405 and 500 grain?

I have poured multiple fishing weight since I was little, but know nothing about bullets or the molds. I will getting books on this, but thought maybe someone would have info for me.

PM me your email address if you want and I will send you a pdf file by Fryxell which has a lot of good bullet casting info

Latest posts

Top Bottom