Bullet tumble 45acp 200 yards No tumble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So talking with many people over a few years I hear that the 45acp will tumble if you get it out far enough.
This is usually told to me ..and 100 yards it will tumble.

I shoot SWC 200gr lee tumble lube bullets.
I have found if I push them fast they will tumble at less than 10 feet.. Once I got in the sweet spot of the gun and bullet the tumble is a non issue.

We were shooting rifles at a 4'X2' piece of sheetrock on an old dead oak tree at 211 yard away.
I grabbed my Hi-Point 45acp pistol that really impresses me at longer ranges for a cheap gun.

couple buddies there and they stated you can't hit that at this range.
I shoot it and about 1 second later.... thud it hits the tree.

Not real accurate at that range but the 10 shots I took at the tree and sheetrock I missed the Thud of the tree 3 times and stuck 3 rounds into that sheetrock.

What I was impressed with is that the holes in the sheetrock from the 45acp were perfectly round,, No keyhole no tumble.

Have any of you guys noticed any keyhole at longer ranges with your pistols.
I know my 357 mag does not tumble at all, but that is a longer bullet,, and the .45-200gr is a stubby bullet.

Not that many of you shoot the trench gun at long ranges :)

Jcann

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Many moons ago I walked a 155gr lead 45 onto a target at 300yds and it showed no signs of tumble. I don’t recall my load data but they were hotter than most (they would make major in IPSC).

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with tumbling.
I used to have a Volunteer Arms Commando (Thompson smg. looking gun)
We could hit a steel target 2' x 6' every shot at 400 yards.
Shooting milsurp 230gr fmj's you could hear them twirl thru the air and then clang.
If the sun was just right you could see them tumble too.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with tumbling.

If the sun was just right you could see them tumble too.

Funny you mention that. We were shooting some .45 last weekend with the sun at our backs. You could see the round, the sun was reflecting off of the copper plating, looked almost like a tracer, it was very cool.

Latest posts

Top Bottom