Bullfrog season is in full swing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent many a night wading the creeks and ponds. We used gigs. We had some that were spring loaded that grabbed them. Never miss with them. IIRC they were called lion gaffs. My grandpa used to tell us that the frog legs would jump out of the skillet. We never covered them and I don’t ever remember any jumping out.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had 4 of those giant ones. There were others in the pond, but it sucks being out of ammo.
Was that giant one a female, looks like the rest were males.
Not sure how to tell the difference. For the record, I didn't look at that area, and wouldn't know what I was looking at, being modest and all that. :blush:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I had 4 of those giant ones. There were others in the pond, but it sucks being out of ammo.

Not sure how to tell the difference. For the record, I didn't look at that area, and wouldn't know what I was looking at, being modest and all that. :blush:

Ha! That big spot behind their eye is their tympanic membrane, if it's larger than their eye it's a male, same size as eye or smaller it's a female.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decided to hit the pond today with the fly rod. It’s getting pretty low with the drought so the banks are exposed.
Holy crap the giant bullfrogs were everywhere.
Only had one 15 round mag in my AR style .22, and picked off 9 really quick using the rest of the rounds to finish the cripples.
Caught some little perch on the fly and was amazed at how many frogs were still around. The M&P shooting 158 grain Hornady defense loads took 4 more.

b2896157bf28a6763d74153be73046c1.jpg
Bottom row, third frog looks like hes gonna make a break for the pond. LOL Nice haul there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom