Bushmaster Aluminum high frequency TIG welding help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, several years ago I damaged a lower with a very stupid rookie mistake. I used a punch smaller than 1/8” to try and remove a trigger guard on my Bushmaster which flared the roll pin rather than pushing it and broke the aluminum at what I’m now certain is the absolute weakest point on an AR as pictured below. I also think this one may have been brittle as I have done this many times but that would just be me making excuses wouldn't it. Ouch!

Several years ago we were in what will probably be looked back on as the Golden age of the AR so I simply bought a new Bushy lower and considered this a $115 learning experience.

Fast forward to Dec 31st 2012 and the cost to repair and Cerakote instantly becomes viable. If this were steel I could do this myself but having actually played around with a very high end unit at the Vo-Tech in Stillwater I concede that my skillset ends with steel even if the two welds are only ½-“each.

Is there anyone in the Tulsa or Stillwater area that could weld this back for me at a fair market price whatever that may be these days or know a shop I could trust to have it done? It is ½-“both sides exact same place and I have the broken tabs. I can do all the cleanup, grinding/file/polish etc. myself.

Also, I’m not doing this to resell. I am going to Cerakote it and an upper pink and build an AR for my Girls. Yes I said Pink. LOL

If nothing else; with a potential new ban in the works and AR pricing what it is these days, let this be a lesson for everyone to use a 1/8” punch when changing out from a plastic to metal or to a Magpul guard.

Thanks in advance OSA you guys always point me in the right direction. And Happy New Year OSA!

[Broken External Image]

green_machine2

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
ugh. I've seen one done before. it's really hard to weld one up. to much perosity in the metal. if it was a 'billet' it would be easy. but it takes machine work on a mill to make any welded part to turn out decent. who ever does it is gonna have a hard time.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Honestly, this happens so much for new builders that I am suprised they havent replaced that roll pin with a binder post.

Latest posts

Top Bottom