Buy a new or used car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check with the car rental agencies (You can see what they have to offer and the prices on the internet). Enterprise, Hertz are two of the biggest ones, I think Enterprise has no-haggle prices on theirs. I have often thought of buying one of their cars but never have but I do know people that have and I haven't heard any complaints.
I got one from Hertz back in the day and drove it a long time. It was a great car at a bargain price.

918evo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For a Civic, get at least a 2006 or newer, and try to get a 2012+. The 2012 and newer get better mileage and seem a little nicer. Carfax anything you are going to buy and comp shop. Like shadow said, it will easily make it into higher miles(200k+) with only oil changes and an occasional transmission fluid change. If you need help with your current car post a thread in the gearhead subforum.

sedona

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends how much you drive.I bought 2 new Honda accords in the past.Drove them each for 3 years and sold them for $4000.00 less than I paid for them.I like the peace of mind of having a warranty.If you can wait till the end of the year when there are usually rebates you can buy a new car for about $1500.00 more than a lot of program or loaner cars.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive never bought a new vehicle. Went and test drove a new ram 3500 a month or so ago and it was my first time to even consider a new one. I decided that buying new was for either poor people who have no cash, or people really well off...and I am somewhere in the middle so for now used is the best choice.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1974 civic got 53 MPG with spirited driving with me or the girlfriend behind the wheel.
NO way new civics get that.
Up into the 80's they still turned out some good cars that pulled 50+ MPG.
https://www.mpgomatic.com/2011/12/30/honda-civic-gas-mileage-high-mpg-standouts/

They were light though. and really not that slow.like low 18's in the 1/4 for the 74 civic
2013 EX civic turns 16.9 in the 1/4
claimed 28 city 39 highway.
My 95 corolla has 317,000 miles on it and still going fine.
33 mpg most of the time using the right synthetic oil I have got 38 MPG on the highway a few times and 39.4 was best.
I have also got 30 MPG when running 95+ MPH down the highway.

I vote used..Or if you are going to spend a lot of money like more than 10 grand I would buy a classic.
You never lose money on that.
Unless you can't work on cars that is.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to say always used. However, in the last several years I say.. depends. In Dec of 2012 I bought a nicely equipped 2012 Civic for $16K. It even had a sunroof. I'd of had to go back two to three years, 30K to 40K miles to get a used one equipped that way for that price. It had been miserable weather that month, sales were down and it was a holdover. A couple years later did the same thing with a CR-V. End of year model, well equipped and over $4K off the sticker, about the same or cheaper than a two year old model. Oh, and both times I got .9% financing. IMHO, if you keep your cars a long time (10 or more years), it's high quality popular model (Civic, Camry, Accord, Corrola, etc), you snag a good deal (hold over, program car, etc) then yeah get new. This is all if you are comparing cars only a few years old.

If you're looking at anything domestic, rotate out every 2 to 3 years or are comparing to cars several years old then no, it doesn't make sense to buy new.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Another cost to consider is the tax and license. Buying used will save you a ton on these costs.

I bought a car through Sam's Club when I lived in California. Saved me $2500 more than I was able to 'negotiate'. It's a very easy/seamless process. Best of luck in your decision!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom