Buy a new or used car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Carfax is worthless, honestly. I've known several people whose vehicles had been badly wrecked and Carfax didn't report it. It's required by some dealers or whathaveyou, but I don't put a damn lick of faith in it.
Bought a 99 suburban from EMP&GMC in 2002 Carfax checked out fine then a couple years later bondo on both rear quarters came off.
Been crunched by jack-knifing a trailer into the quarters. Carfax worthless.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1974 civic got 53 MPG with spirited driving with me or the girlfriend behind the wheel.
NO way new civics get that.
Hehe yeah... I remember test-driving a Honda in the '70s. You could open the passenger door from the driver's side without even leaning that direction.

"Roomy" wasn't exactly in their description back then. :D

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my new cars, drove crap cars for a good portion of my life, can afford to buy new, and I do.

I understand the hit I take on them, it's part of the deal for me, plus I buy cars/trucks that have high residual values, so I don't take as much of a hit as some do.

On a Civic, I would look at new personally.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hehe yeah... I remember test-driving a Honda in the '70s. You could open the passenger door from the driver's side without even leaning that direction.

"Roomy" wasn't exactly in their description back then. :D

I dated a girl in high school with one of the original Honda's, N600 I think, it was tiny, so was she, but I was not. Most of my time riding in it the window was down so I had a place for my arms...

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carfax is worthless, honestly. I've known several people whose vehicles had been badly wrecked and Carfax didn't report it. It's required by some dealers or whathaveyou, but I don't put a damn lick of faith in it.

It’s generally worthless but it’s not required by anyone. They’re a private for profit company. They incentivize dealer, shops, insurers, etc to report to them. That’s why it’s no where near conclusive.

I’ll ask a dealer for a free if they offer one since I’m out nothing, but know it’s usually very incomplete.

I generally buy used but on a civic, I’d look really hard at new. The resale value is high on used, and any financing and rebate deals may make the new just a good an option. Toyotas like the Tacoma and 4Runner are similar.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a Civic, get at least a 2006 or newer, and try to get a 2012+. The 2012 and newer get better mileage and seem a little nicer. Carfax anything you are going to buy and comp shop. Like shadow said, it will easily make it into higher miles(200k+) with only oil changes and an occasional transmission fluid change. If you need help with your current car post a thread in the gearhead subforum.
When I got into the business I'm in now I drove 68,000 miles in that first year. Worked with a guy who had been in the business for years and only drove 4 cylinder Honda Accords for work. The one he had at that time was going on 380K miles. He said all you had to do was the normal preventive maintenance (oil, filters, plugs, trans fluid, etc.) and never miss changing the timing belt but they alleviated that item some years back. My uncle used to drive even more than that and all he drives are Honda or Toyota Avalons. He did go past 500K in his last Avalon but did have to put an engine in it at close to the 400K mark.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I generally buy used but on a civic, I’d look really hard at new. The resale value is high on used, and any financing and rebate deals may make the new just a good an option. Toyotas like the Tacoma and 4Runner are similar.

Bought my Tacoma as a dealer demo in 95 with a great discount. Sold it with 360K+ on it in 2016 for $4K to the first guy that looked at it.
They do hold resale.
We typically buy new for the family car always paying cash, but we keep them for many years. Our Kia Sorento is going on 8 years. Very dependable vehicle. Zero issues with anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom