Buy a new or used car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While it doesn't play into some of the ideas here, and probably not for the OP, but I have tended to want the wife to be in a dependable vehicle, just in case. Thus, we've traded fairly frequently and usually for new or one year old vehicles. I'm willing to be stranded in a broke down vehicle, but I don't want her in that position.

Also, we have tended to stick with major U.S. brands. You know, the kind that has a dealership even in relatively small towns. Many moons ago, we had a guy break down in our small town, and he wailed like crazy because no one in our small town worked on Volkswagon Beetles. He had to rent a room and order parts to be delivered 18 miles away by Greyhound bus, and fix it himself.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in 1992 I bought a new Honda CRX- a small coupe with no rear seat-only a platform. I was in San Antonio and on a whim bought this CRX and drove it back to OKC and I did some figuring and got 55 MPG! I knew I was bad in math but figured it 2 more times and got the same results. That was a neat car, A/C, 5 speed transmission and no radio-around $9,000. I never did sell the thing though, the ex asked for it and I gave it to her and kept my retirement. A good one these days will bring several thousand.
Anyway, I wish Honda would resurrect those cars, no emission stuff that I know of and a small engine that ran like a sewing machine. Should have bought two of 'em.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, since this thread began, I was presented the opportunity to buy a 2005 Toyota Camry, with only 48K miles. Still looks like new! A true "little old lady car" --- I've known her for 30+ years. Even has new tires and a battery. Gonna give her a check Monday.

Weird how the universe works sometimes......

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, since this thread began, I was presented the opportunity to buy a 2005 Toyota Camry, with only 48K miles. Still looks like new! A true "little old lady car" --- I've known her for 30+ years. Even has new tires and a battery. Gonna give her a check Monday.

Weird how the universe works sometimes......

Umm.... well, that's old enough it might be ok. My mechanic helped us pick out a Camry ('99 version) for my niece to drive while she was in college. Ran it hours a day for 5 years and still running like a top when we sold it. Problem is, he kept saying what a great car it was, but he bought a newer one for his wife and they have had NOTHING but trouble out of it. I think his is newer.... 2012+, I believe. He swears by those older ones (and so do I), but he won't recommend the newer ones. :( In fact, I don't think he recommends MUCH that is newer these days.

On another note, my elderly neighbor's Acadia burned out a headlight - the stealership was gonna charge something like $700+ to replace it??? So my mechanic, as honest as the day is long, he took care of it and said yes, it WAS a stone-cold b|tch to replace, but only charged her something like $250.

Some of this sh|te is just crazy, you just can't make it up.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Back in 1992 I bought a new Honda CRX- a small coupe with no rear seat-only a platform. I was in San Antonio and on a whim bought this CRX and drove it back to OKC and I did some figuring and got 55 MPG! I knew I was bad in math but figured it 2 more times and got the same results. That was a neat car, A/C, 5 speed transmission and no radio-around $9,000. I never did sell the thing though, the ex asked for it and I gave it to her and kept my retirement. A good one these days will bring several thousand.
Anyway, I wish Honda would resurrect those cars, no emission stuff that I know of and a small engine that ran like a sewing machine. Should have bought two of 'em.
I’ve had 2 used crxs. Both had well over 100k miles but ran great. One had to have a vavle job, and so I had a buddy do a multi angle vavle job, ported and polished the intake and exhaust runners and added a header and 2” exhaust. That car would average 52 mpg at 85 mph. Great car until it was smashed on the BA expressway. Honda came out with the crz a couple years ago. It kind of resembles the crx.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They kind of have one. A CRZ. It's actually a hybrid and based off the Insight I think. Doesn't get that great of mileage for a hybrid, but I think they look pretty cool. I want to pick one up for work and maybe put a turbo on it just for giggles.
CR-Z 1.jpg

farmer17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been looking at used pickups for months and they are REALLY selling high right now. I bought a new 18 Ram from David Stanley Dodge with 22 miles on it and paid $24.2 K out the door. Chrome bumpers & wheels, power, windows, locks, mirrors, tilt, cruise, automatic headlights, keyless entry, alarm, touch screen infotainment with blue tooth, cloth seats, bed liner, towing package, and 305 hp 6 cyl engine. I don't tow anything but a small trailer with 4 wheelers so I didn't need a V8 or diesel and the 6 banger gets 26mpg on the highway and has great power. I'm thrilled to be driving a new vehicle with 5 new tires and warranty for the price I was planning on spending for a used mystery truck.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s generally worthless but it’s not required by anyone. They’re a private for profit company. They incentivize dealer, shops, insurers, etc to report to them. That’s why it’s no where near conclusive.

I’ll ask a dealer for a free if they offer one since I’m out nothing, but know it’s usually very incomplete.

I generally buy used but on a civic, I’d look really hard at new. The resale value is high on used, and any financing and rebate deals may make the new just a good an option. Toyotas like the Tacoma and 4Runner are similar.

I had issues selling a car because of a Carfax "flag". It was a convoluted issue but boiled down the fact that it had a title "anomaly" because the car originally came from Canada and was originally owned by the Canadian government.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While it doesn't play into some of the ideas here, and probably not for the OP, but I have tended to want the wife to be in a dependable vehicle, just in case. Thus, we've traded fairly frequently and usually for new or one year old vehicles. I'm willing to be stranded in a broke down vehicle, but I don't want her in that position.

Also, we have tended to stick with major U.S. brands. You know, the kind that has a dealership even in relatively small towns. Many moons ago, we had a guy break down in our small town, and he wailed like crazy because no one in our small town worked on Volkswagon Beetles. He had to rent a room and order parts to be delivered 18 miles away by Greyhound bus, and fix it himself.

This was the case for me as well. My wife's 2010 IS250 got totaled by a hit and run driver just a week after we paid it off. It was immaculate and only had 35K on the odometer. The insurance company paid out so well, we could've gone and paid cash for a 2012 with 25K on it. However, we ordered her a brand new 2016 because it came with safety features the older used ones didn't have. Coupled with the free maintenance and roadside service, I really wanted her to have those things for a worry free drive.

In some rare cases, buying new is actually cheaper than buying used. I bought a 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 four months ago. I'd looked at used ones with 10K on the odometer, but then I did a nationwide search on Autotrader and sorted by lowest price first. I ended up flying to Phoenix to buy a brand new one for several thousand less than a used one locally. The best deal I could work locally on a new one was $3,500 off. I ended up getting $7,950 off the price by flying there and driving back, for the price of a $280 one way ticket and fuel at about $180. I could sell it right now for more than I have in it, due to incentives GM is no longer offering.

I just don't think you could find enough incentives on a Honda or Toyota to make it worth the hassle though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom