Buyers Remorse

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeeper90

Marksman
Reaction score
Anyone ever parted ways with a rifle and been messaged a week later with a crazy claim? Sold a feller a complete AR with a 223 wylde chambered upper last week. He asked a million questions about 556 compatability etc. I did the best to provide links to him so he could read up on it himself. He agrees to purchase and we meet up. He never tried to talk me even a cent off of my asking. Out of the blue today I get a message that I'm a liar because he went to the gun shop and the guy at the counter said anything marked 223 can't fire 556. He won't say which shop...long story short I told him sorry but he's wrong and that we were done talking. First time in 25ish years wheeling and dealing that's happened to me. Did I handle it correctly or should I have provided more info?
So 5.56 is a Nato round that exceeds .223 pressure! The chamber must be 5.56 to shoot 223. A 223 chamber should not shoot 5.56 ammo. Have not owned a 224 Wilde so I can't speak to it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have shot many 5.56 from my .223 chambers and many of my reloads and some that kicked much harder.
Never had any issues with 5.56 ammo in .223 chamber.
Not shooting the 5.56 tracer round which is a very long bullet.

Talking about regular ammo here.
I have never seen any .223 rifle ruined by shooting 5.56.
The way they measure pressures is different between the 2.

I have read a few articles on 5.56 vs .223 and one measured pressures of various store ammo in 5.56 and .223 and some of the .223 exceed the pressures of 5.56.

When I took my .223 savage axis home I had worked up many loads and found some great ones.
I then wanted to test primers as I have read many things on cci primers and one stated the cci 550 was the same as the cci 400.
I set out to find out if it was and found it is not the same primer at all.

I loaded my .223 rounds beyond max book load data to test primer cup strength
Do not try this for yourself.

I found I would get a hole punched in the primers of the cci 400 with a certain load and that same load with the 550 primers would only crater,
never pierce a hole in them.
cci 450 had much less crater in them and never a hole punched through them.

Do you think I was beyond max recommended pressures... YES and it never hurt a thing.

That was a few years ago and that gun was just taken out last week with mixed cases with powder dropped through a powder measure.
1.7" groups was the worst of the day at 190 yards.

Not hurt and this rifle is the 2nd most consistent rifle I have when it comes to accuracy in different temps or weather conditions.

Bring your 5.56 ammo (Not Tracers) that you think will hurt a .223 chamber rifle and I will shoot it in my .223 chambered savage axis I will give you 200 bucks if it hurts my rifle.

For all those that say you can't shoot 5.56 in a .223 here is a chance to put "my" money where your mouth is.

End this BS.

Kenneth Braud

Marksman
Reaction score
Anyone ever parted ways with a rifle and been messaged a week later with a crazy claim? Sold a feller a complete AR with a 223 wylde chambered upper last week. He asked a million questions about 556 compatability etc. I did the best to provide links to him so he could read up on it himself. He agrees to purchase and we meet up. He never tried to talk me even a cent off of my asking. Out of the blue today I get a message that I'm a liar because he went to the gun shop and the guy at the counter said anything marked 223 can't fire 556. He won't say which shop...long story short I told him sorry but he's wrong and that we were done talking. First time in 25ish years wheeling and dealing that's happened to me. Did I handle it correctly or should I have provided more info?
You handled it well enough, but you left a rifle in the hands of someone who obviously doesn't know enough to be a responsible weapons owner. If you still had the cash, you should've taken it back for less than he paid you for it and told him that is what life's lessons cost. (But I'm dreaming)
We cannot win when dealing with those who have been raised as victims and will not take responsibility for they own mistakes and ignorance and will rudely blame everyone but themselves...

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think you nailed it re Buyers Remorse + gun shops hate to see private gun sales/trades - period - so he would be happy to mislead a customer - probably told him he paid way too much too
block the guy's number and move on

jhb33rd

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have an old 180 series Mini 14. (1976) I've shot 556 ammo thru her. But I wouldn't want to feed her a healthy diet of it.

Okvet03

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sold a revolver once and the guys wife contacted me a week later and said it didn't work. I know it was 100% functional when I sold it. Then she told me her husband took it apart. I told her that was the problem. She said nope he's a cop, he knows all about guns. :hithead:

Latest posts

Top Bottom