Buying a fancy new suit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Men's Wear house is a good option.
As is consignment and thrift shops. Never know what you might stumble across. I picked up a Piere Cardin suit for $50.
Men's shop for a tailor fit. I bought a suit from a Men's shop in Houston. Worn many times, over many years.
Nothing better than a pair of hand made boots.
Quality, tailored suit should be around $1k and last you 10+ years. $100/yr, not a bad deal.

Good luck

Woodman 59

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m getting married this fall, and I need a suit. Gonna be a pretty casual wedding, nothing black tie. I was thinking of just renting a suit, but the last 2-3 that I rented looked terrible and fit me like a cardboard box, even after multiple fittings. I wanna say I was spending 2-300 bucks or more as well, and that was several years ago. So I figured I would buy myself a nice suit, likely something custom made. I have a long torso, short legs and arms, and a really wide neck and shoulders. It’s hard to find clothes that fit well. Any suggestions on places to find custom suits in the OKC area? Or suggestions on reasonable prices? I went by Q Clothiers on the classen curve, they said full custom suits start at $1299, and I pick literally every detail on it. Sounds like a lot, but I honestly don’t know. It would be the equivalent of renting 4-5 suits over the next few years. It is appealing though, they also sell custom shoes, and I would like to buy a nice pair of custom fit dress shoes that will last me a lifetime, rather than buying ill fitting crap that lasts a few years.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I always remember something I read, talking about how back in the old west you could get a quality made shirt for roughly a months wages, but it would last you forever. We’ve gotten away from that mindset as a society, but it’s appealing to me. On the other hand It’s a difficult pill to swallow, as right now I’m not swimming in money.
You might try J C Penny's then have the alterations done.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thing about shoes, I would LOVE for someone to make dress shoes that don't feel like dress shoes. Not sure why it is so hard to do and still look good. My Johnson and Murphys kill my back and feet.
Me too, same issue here. For the last 15 years I've been buying Rockports. They have some dress shoes, look very nice, but are constructed to be far more comfortable than the regular traditional brand name dress shoes.

In fact, I just bought a new pair of Rockport dress shoes at DXL in OKC, but check around for other retailers. There used to be a Rockport store at the OKC Outlets, off of I-40, but I think they went out.

Longstrider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m getting married this fall, and I need a suit. Gonna be a pretty casual wedding, nothing black tie. I was thinking of just renting a suit, but the last 2-3 that I rented looked terrible and fit me like a cardboard box, even after multiple fittings. I wanna say I was spending 2-300 bucks or more as well, and that was several years ago. So I figured I would buy myself a nice suit, likely something custom made. I have a long torso, short legs and arms, and a really wide neck and shoulders. It’s hard to find clothes that fit well. Any suggestions on places to find custom suits in the OKC area? Or suggestions on reasonable prices? I went by Q Clothiers on the classen curve, they said full custom suits start at $1299, and I pick literally every detail on it. Sounds like a lot, but I honestly don’t know. It would be the equivalent of renting 4-5 suits over the next few years. It is appealing though, they also sell custom shoes, and I would like to buy a nice pair of custom fit dress shoes that will last me a lifetime, rather than buying ill fitting crap that lasts a few years.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I always remember something I read, talking about how back in the old west you could get a quality made shirt for roughly a months wages, but it would last you forever. We’ve gotten away from that mindset as a society, but it’s appealing to me. On the other hand It’s a difficult pill to swallow, as right now I’m not swimming in money.
Men’s Warehouse. $300 bucks, jacket & vest and a good pair of jeans. If that ain’t goodnuff your running in the wrong crowd

Foxfire5

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Gads! Thirteen Hundred Bucks!! The shoes I can see for a buy cause you can wear them later to Church etc.. I would just rent the suit. Get a nice suit father down the road. Trust me you will find one eventually for special occasions.

TeamTomlyn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have bought three from the Men's Wearhouse and each fits great. From my thoughts, they are good quality and not too expensive. I have used mine quite a bit and they look fine.

The thing about shoes, I would LOVE for someone to make dress shoes that don't feel like dress shoes. Not sure why it is so hard to do and still look good. My Johnson and Murphys kill my back and feet.

Good luck with your search and I agree, buy one because it will last you a while and you never know when you will need it.
Im not sure about your J&M but im pretty sure the heal is hollow in mine. Sound like a lame horse clippity clopping down the halls lol.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
J&M, Rockports, and Cole Haan are all Chicom and India made now and mostly poo. I wouldn't take a free pair.

Allen Edmond and Alden are still made in the USA and are 360 Goodyear welted...they can be resoled and reconditioned and will last you the rest of your life. AE always has sales and has a really good factory seconds program.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/
https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoebank/factory-seconds

Latest posts

Top Bottom