Buying a fancy new suit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I’m getting married this fall, and I need a suit. Gonna be a pretty casual wedding, nothing black tie. I was thinking of just renting a suit, but the last 2-3 that I rented looked terrible and fit me like a cardboard box, even after multiple fittings. I wanna say I was spending 2-300 bucks or more as well, and that was several years ago. So I figured I would buy myself a nice suit, likely something custom made. I have a long torso, short legs and arms, and a really wide neck and shoulders. It’s hard to find clothes that fit well. Any suggestions on places to find custom suits in the OKC area? Or suggestions on reasonable prices? I went by Q Clothiers on the classen curve, they said full custom suits start at $1299, and I pick literally every detail on it. Sounds like a lot, but I honestly don’t know. It would be the equivalent of renting 4-5 suits over the next few years. It is appealing though, they also sell custom shoes, and I would like to buy a nice pair of custom fit dress shoes that will last me a lifetime, rather than buying ill fitting crap that lasts a few years.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I always remember something I read, talking about how back in the old west you could get a quality made shirt for roughly a months wages, but it would last you forever. We’ve gotten away from that mindset as a society, but it’s appealing to me. On the other hand It’s a difficult pill to swallow, as right now I’m not swimming in money.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have bought three from the Men's Wearhouse and each fits great. From my thoughts, they are good quality and not too expensive. I have used mine quite a bit and they look fine.

The thing about shoes, I would LOVE for someone to make dress shoes that don't feel like dress shoes. Not sure why it is so hard to do and still look good. My Johnson and Murphys kill my back and feet.

Good luck with your search and I agree, buy one because it will last you a while and you never know when you will need it.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As for as a tailor made suit, that is a very good price, especially these days and considering having a long torso and short legs (to which I also suffer from)

Its a lot of money so consider how many times you have the chance to wear it and how long it will actually fit. I dont know your age but the older you get, the quicker your body doesn't fit clothes anymore

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m getting married this fall, and I need a suit. Gonna be a pretty casual wedding, nothing black tie. I was thinking of just renting a suit, but the last 2-3 that I rented looked terrible and fit me like a cardboard box, even after multiple fittings. I wanna say I was spending 2-300 bucks or more as well, and that was several years ago. So I figured I would buy myself a nice suit, likely something custom made. I have a long torso, short legs and arms, and a really wide neck and shoulders. It’s hard to find clothes that fit well. Any suggestions on places to find custom suits in the OKC area? Or suggestions on reasonable prices? I went by Q Clothiers on the classen curve, they said full custom suits start at $1299, and I pick literally every detail on it. Sounds like a lot, but I honestly don’t know. It would be the equivalent of renting 4-5 suits over the next few years. It is appealing though, they also sell custom shoes, and I would like to buy a nice pair of custom fit dress shoes that will last me a lifetime, rather than buying ill fitting crap that lasts a few years.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I always remember something I read, talking about how back in the old west you could get a quality made shirt for roughly a months wages, but it would last you forever. We’ve gotten away from that mindset as a society, but it’s appealing to me. On the other hand It’s a difficult pill to swallow, as right now I’m not swimming in money.
Ask them how their custom suits are made. a good suit for that price ($1299) should be a minimum half canvass made from wool, either British or Italian. Check Brooks Bros. Men's Wearhouse can help out but they tend to have cheaper suits that are quarter canvassed or fused canvass. Don't get fused. The bigger Dillard's, like in Penn mall, has some really good suits available for a dept store. They also have an MTO program.

I'm a Brooks Bros fan though; they always have sales and have the best American suits. Not the outlet, but a real store. You can get a half canvassed suit for well under a G, and they'll tailor it for you (highly recommend), and you'll have it for the next 10-15 years.

Don't rent...buy a suit that you'll have the next 15 years. Only Leisure suits go out of style. Everything else always stays. You can go looking like a million bucks or go like cousin Eddie. Your new wife might have a say so in that.

Bookmark these two sites if you're going to buy and wear a suit more than a couple times in your life.

https://www.artofmanliness.com/mens-suits/https://bespokeunit.com/

Last edited:

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you needed a suit, Uncle Sam would have issued it. Just wear your dress blues!!!!

That’s about as much as I can contribute to your question, as I haven’t worn a suit since my wedding in 2009.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure what size you are but I have one I bought for a wedding at express. A few years ago. It’s dark blue. I think I paid about 600. Wore it for a few hours. Think its 34-33, 42r or long. If it happens to fit you can have it!

Latest posts

Top Bottom