Buying a fancy new suit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So I’m getting married this fall, and I need a suit. Gonna be a pretty casual wedding, nothing black tie. I was thinking of just renting a suit, but the last 2-3 that I rented looked terrible and fit me like a cardboard box, even after multiple fittings. I wanna say I was spending 2-300 bucks or more as well, and that was several years ago. So I figured I would buy myself a nice suit, likely something custom made. I have a long torso, short legs and arms, and a really wide neck and shoulders. It’s hard to find clothes that fit well. Any suggestions on places to find custom suits in the OKC area? Or suggestions on reasonable prices? I went by Q Clothiers on the classen curve, they said full custom suits start at $1299, and I pick literally every detail on it. Sounds like a lot, but I honestly don’t know. It would be the equivalent of renting 4-5 suits over the next few years. It is appealing though, they also sell custom shoes, and I would like to buy a nice pair of custom fit dress shoes that will last me a lifetime, rather than buying ill fitting crap that lasts a few years.

Any suggestions or thoughts? I always remember something I read, talking about how back in the old west you could get a quality made shirt for roughly a months wages, but it would last you forever. We’ve gotten away from that mindset as a society, but it’s appealing to me. On the other hand It’s a difficult pill to swallow, as right now I’m not swimming in money.

I know that this may sound odd, but I've gotten some very fine suits from the Salvation Army store. Do some research of the higher quality brands so you'll know what to look for. I've actually found some that still had the store tags on them. Oh, since you're still fairly young, might get maybe 1 size larger for future 'growth'. Don't worry about a lifetime pair of shoes --- your feet will get a touch bigger over time.

Then, take the 'saved' money and buy yourself a dress holster and a fine 'new' shoot'n iron.

Call me frugal............call me cheap..........call me smart..........just call me happy and satisfied!

:laugh6:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that this may sound odd, but I've gotten some very fine suits from the Salvation Army store. Do some research of the higher quality brands so you'll know what to look for. I've actually found some that still had the store tags on them. Oh, since you're still fairly young, might get maybe 1 size larger for future 'growth'. Don't worry about a lifetime pair of shoes --- your feet will get a touch bigger over time.

Then, take the 'saved' money and buy yourself a dress holster and a fine 'new' shoot'n iron.

Call me frugal............call me cheap..........call me smart..........just call me happy and satisfied!

:laugh6:
This. Go to the thrift stores in the nice neighborhoods. Friend bought 2 suits that were near 1K each for less than 100 bucks once. Took em to have them tailored and they fit him like a glove.

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had trousers, jacket, and a couple shirts made here. To notch work and service. Fast and very radiant priced. Only problem is the long flight and time away from home.

Fit well Tailor

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You think $1400 is fat? Wait until you get the bill for her dress!
Her mom is buying it, thankfully. Or should I say, bought it. The got it from a consignment shop, my understanding is they got it for half off or so, and it’s $4k I think? I haven’t asked much about it. She didn’t want anything that fancy, but apparently it made her feel like a Disney princess when she put it on, so she was completely sold. I’m really excited to get to see her in it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wedding was awesome cowboy shirt and boots. (yes and jeans)
I already had them.
Wife: JC penny dress 50 bucks and she tweaked it into a wedding dress.
Ring for her $400. She found her own at a pawn shop.
Tons of Food and drinks including rental of the place and preacher boy paid and all the above.

$800 out of pocket.
35 years later we still watch our money.

So much better things to spend money on than impressive clothing.
I hope you have a wonderful wedding and it is all you wished it will be though.

No I did not get a ring for myself.
I do not wear jewelry or watches or necklaces etc.
I Do Not own any of the stuff either.

That is for girls and girls like shiny things. I suppose.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for shoes, I used to wear Rockport dress shoes when I worked retail sales.
I'll second the Rockport recommendation; in my previous career, I usually wore Rockports. I have a pair of Rockport wingtips to go with my suit (and at the rate I wear either these days, they'll last the rest of my life), and they're both comfortable and exceptionally light weight.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It is nice to have one that fits correctly for future use too. Job interviews, fancy Christmas parties for work, other people's weddings, funerals, etc. Heck I wear my suit jacket a decent amount over a white shirt with jeans and my nice cowboy boots for a solid compromise dressing up for a dinner date with the wife.

There are a lot of uses for a suit as we get older and older. I just want to find a solid tailor that will adjust things around my IWB holster so I can carry without making the fall of the front my pants look weird.

Oh and if they ask if you dress left or right, they're not asking about your political leanings, haha.

Latest posts

Top Bottom