Buying a non-operable vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A vehicle needs a Black Tag when the vehicle is temporarily not being driven on the road and is not insured. The purpose of obtaining a Black Tag is to avoid incurring penalties while this vehicle is not in use and not insured.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tag agencies are private companies...

Technically they are sub-contractors to the DMV, so in my eyes they are still government agency employees. Its the same thing as Cox service locations, most of them are owned by 3rd parties but are just sub-contractors for Cox, and they are usually just as bad as tag agencies about knowing the policies.

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Always good to check on the tag/title status before you buy too, because you can get dinged pretty good if previous owners didn't keep current.
Yep. Cost me over $400 to register the 1999 Ford Windstar van I bought from a friend's family member because they let the registration lapse. 4 years worth, IIRC.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Always good to check on the tag/title status before you buy too, because you can get dinged pretty good if previous owners didn't keep current.

Thats not the case now since oklahoma changed the law. When you sell a vehicle the tag stays with the owner and not the vehicle. The penalties stay with that tag. I've bought a couple cars that hadn't been tagged in years and I didn't get charged penalties.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a heads up, you must re-new a black tag every year just like regular tags or you will end up with penalties. Folks have probably already said that, but I wanted to say it again. Had a vehicle that needed a very rare engine, finally found one good enough to rebuild. Had black tagged it and didn't understand it needed to be renewed every year. 3 years latter got it all together and was surprised by a $275.00 tag charge for a 1991 vehicle.

OHJEEZE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, the registration should be kept current. You can always let it lapse and the renewal fee will continue to increase in penalty till it reaches the max amount. For vehicles that would be considered junkers no one would care, unless you wanted to put a tag on in in several years times.
Well thats some gay law right there with the state making you guys pay for tags for a unused vehicle! Nothing like them milking you guys for them doing nothing! 😡

Some of mine only get tags when it is time to hit the road!

Been wanting to get my 1 ton dump truck out, its last tags was 2012!

Got a cucv I bought almost 4 years ago, had not tagged yet.

Or the 87 surburban I got a few years ago, gee, I have not even changed the title over for that one! Late title fee is $5!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom