Buying a non-operable vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a heads up, you must re-new a black tag every year just like regular tags or you will end up with penalties. Folks have probably already said that, but I wanted to say it again. Had a vehicle that needed a very rare engine, finally found one good enough to rebuild. Had black tagged it and didn't understand it needed to be renewed every year. 3 years latter got it all together and was surprised by a $275.00 tag charge for a 1991 vehicle.
I think the max penalty is now two years. I had to bring a tag current on a vehicle (it was insured but had not been driven for a few years, so I didn’t bother with the tags), and I’m pretty sure they only charged me for two years of back tags.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Technically they are sub-contractors to the DMV, so in my eyes they are still government agency employees.
Except they're not government agency employees. The company that employs me has contracts to provide services to various state governments; do you think that makes me a gov't agency employee?

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought a black tag was for when the vehicle is legally inoperable on public roads. In this condition, it doesn't need to be insured.
:anyone:
___
kind of the same thing. If it isn't insured. it isn't legal on public highway. I had a CJ2a i black tagged for probably 20 years.half that time it was stripped down to the frame. I finally sold it and all the extra jeep stuff I had. The black tag was to keep the registration up to date so there were no penalties for the new owner or if I would have put it back on the road. I have a black tagged 1950 international pickup that needs the entire brakes system replaced among a few other things but the registration is up to date.
The black tag just means you are not going to use it on the road.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Except they're not government agency employees. The company that employs me has contracts to provide services to various state governments; do you think that makes me a gov't agency employee?
Little different. You are working for company x that provides a service TO the government. I go to the tag agency to fulfill a government requirement, so even though they technically are not government employees, they are still the face I see for a government function, so they can be seen as government employees.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
kind of the same thing. If it isn't insured. it isn't legal on public highway. I had a CJ2a i black tagged for probably 20 years.half that time it was stripped down to the frame.
I looked into a black tag (back in the '90s maybe?), and the lady told me to keep any receipts for repairs to prove it really had been inoperable. From that, I took it to mean mechanically inoperable (or perhaps lights and such).

But things may have changed considerably since then.
___

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked into a black tag (back in the '90s maybe?), and the lady told me to keep any receipts for repairs to prove it really had been inoperable. From that, I took it to mean mechanically inoperable (or perhaps lights and such).

But things may have changed considerably since then.
___
At one time if your registration had expired and you could prove it was broke down and being repaired they would wave the penalties . That doesn't apply any longer. State wants every penny it can get for everything .

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the max penalty is now two years. I had to bring a tag current on a vehicle (it was insured but had not been driven for a few years, so I didn’t bother with the tags), and I’m pretty sure they only charged me for two years of back tags.
If it changed it had to have been after November 10th of this year, cause there are the back tag penalties, plus not registering penalties. At least that is what they told me and I had to pay! I don't know the ins and outs of the law all I know is the OUCH!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom